What's new

My sluice seems to pass as much micros as it catches?

Foulwind

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2024
Messages
26
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Hey all. I have a 50" folding sluice (Vevor) im using at a local beach thats loaded with micro fine flour gold. I dont have any meshs to accurately size the color, but a guess might be way smaller that 100. I started using my old sluice my dad built for me back when I was snotling 55+yrs back. It collected gold but was not efficent with only carpet and 7 riffles. it's length is 48" × 7" after i found high numbers of color in its cons, i got my new sluice to collect more. New sluice does collect more color from less buckets Vs old sluice (Carpet, miners moss, and light expanded metal and riffles) i recently added my old sluice to the bottom of new sluice and ran a 12 (3gal) bucket run, adding the old sluice in after 5th bucket. I know that beach gold has been washing out the back side of the sluice since i started, but it was also getting trapped in sluice. Only when i cleaded up and panned the concentrates from the old sluice did I see how much color is washing out of the back of my new sluice. The geology of tne stream I'm sluicing in does not allow the sluice to have proper angle (1" per ft of lenght drop)4" low at back so its sitting at maybe 1" low at back. There is sufficient water flow to clear small hand shovel loads of sand in about 5 -7 seconds from the feed section. The front riffle sometimes does pack up, but will clear in minutes when feeding is suspended. Following riffles remain clear. Small rocks clear the sluice no problem.
Is everyone having this issue with not catching 100% of their beach gold?
How did you solve that problem?
If you've read tnis far, thanks! And thanks for any replies.
 
I don't know of anyone that can capture that small of gold at a 100% rate with any gravity method ! You could get more gold retention with bigger equipment but you'll be spending lots of money and it would be rough to transport that to your location OR transport all that material back to your equipment yard ! :BangHead:
 
Maybe re-running the same materials though the sluice box will catch some more?

A longer sluice box will also help.
 
I have that same sluice off amazon. I switched out the carpet it came with, with the deep ribbed matting from Royal and it made a big difference in fine gold recovery. Also make sure your expanded mesh is going the right direction. :) https://royalmfgind.com/product/deep-ribbed-rubber-matting/

Might also try running it with just the v-mat and play with the flow of water.

This guy's channel has a lot of good info on beach gold:
 
Fill your dug holes THANKYOU !! I wish everyone would do this !!! :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: Also nice tip on the vibrator your using ! and a drop of Clay - b- Gone or Dawn dish soap in your panning water might be helpful in keeping that fine gold from floating on you ! Anyway you look at it , you had a NICE day at the beach while we sit here watching video's ! :dontknow:
 
Last edited:
Instead of Dawn, use Jetdry (or the generic version of it). It works at least as well and makes far fewer bubbles.
 
I know its a old post lol just wanted to say sometimes less is more meaning this little Sluice 22" long X 6" wide has caught more fine gold then I can count. Basic setup is High Low Riffled Carpet with 1/8th thick 1" Expanded Metal.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251210_221400351.webp
    PXL_20251210_221400351.webp
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20241222_172506799~2 (1).webp
    PXL_20241222_172506799~2 (1).webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
I know its a old post lol just wanted to say sometimes less is more meaning this little Sluice 22" long X 6" wide has caught more fine gold then I can count. Basic setup is High Low Riffled Carpet with 1/8th thick 1" Expanded Metal.
It appears that the carpet just tucks under the aluminum sheet metal, right?
What holds the expanded metal in place?
Thanks.
 
Good morning Assembler. This is a Sluice I made the carpet is held down by a piece of .020 1/2 hard stainless steel. The expanded metal is a snug fit and just pushed down and is locked into place. The carpet/door mat is from home depot I just cut to size lol. I measured some of the fine Gold with my digital calipers at .002 and I think that's like 200 mesh but it does trap a lot of fine Gold lol.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251211_162409711.webp
    PXL_20251211_162409711.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Good morning Assembler. This is a Sluice I made the carpet is held down by a piece of .020 1/2 hard stainless steel. The expanded metal is a snug fit and just pushed down and is locked into place. The carpet/door mat is from home depot I just cut to size lol. I measured some of the fine Gold with my digital calipers at .002 and I think that's like 200 mesh but it does trap a lot of fine Gold lol.
That is what I was thinking for the carpet hold down. Thanks.
 
Missing fine gold................ I'd say try switching up on your water flow /your angle of your sluice/ and your screen material , I see that almost all sluices I've seen currently on T.V. have been using the "Amour Weave " in their sluices to help save it all BUT NOTHING WLL SAVE IT ALL !
 
Missing fine gold................ I'd say try switching up on your water flow /your angle of your sluice/ and your screen material , I see that almost all sluices I've seen currently on T.V. have been using the "Amour Weave " in their sluices to help save it all BUT NOTHING WLL SAVE IT ALL !
Try using a professional grade sluice called the Gold Well. This sluice design is based on solid engineering, not a batch of "add ons" that marginally improve the outcome. But, if you wish to stick with the herd and identify with the crowd that purchases a brand because it "feels" good... keep on.
 
Try using a professional grade sluice called the Gold Well. This sluice design is based on solid engineering, not a batch of "add ons" that marginally improve the outcome. But, if you wish to stick with the herd and identify with the crowd that purchases a brand because it "feels" good... keep on.
Looks like the cnc/metal version of dream mat.
 
The Gold Well looks to smooth and void of any gold traps between the swirls and I am sure you got it run it at a very low flow rate which = more time sluicing.
 
Now that I have tried beach mining and brought home a bucket of black beach sands filled with gold to play with, I think the key is in the length of the sluice box. I really dont want to pack 12 feet of sluice to the beach though. I would like to try a fluid bed next to see how it does.
 
I don’t think anyone can catch all that gold in a sluice box. I used to bring buckets home to run through the 4 stack gold cube with sawtooth/dreammat and would still find a small amount in the tailings… now i just bring a 12X48 dream mat sluice down to the beach and feed it quicker than i could with the cube and bring more gold home
 
Hey all. I have a 50" folding sluice (Vevor) im using at a local beach thats loaded with micro fine flour gold. I dont have any meshs to accurately size the color, but a guess might be way smaller that 100. I started using my old sluice my dad built for me back when I was snotling 55+yrs back. It collected gold but was not efficent with only carpet and 7 riffles. it's length is 48" × 7" after i found high numbers of color in its cons, i got my new sluice to collect more. New sluice does collect more color from less buckets Vs old sluice (Carpet, miners moss, and light expanded metal and riffles) i recently added my old sluice to the bottom of new sluice and ran a 12 (3gal) bucket run, adding the old sluice in after 5th bucket. I know that beach gold has been washing out the back side of the sluice since i started, but it was also getting trapped in sluice. Only when i cleaded up and panned the concentrates from the old sluice did I see how much color is washing out of the back of my new sluice. The geology of tne stream I'm sluicing in does not allow the sluice to have proper angle (1" per ft of lenght drop)4" low at back so its sitting at maybe 1" low at back. There is sufficient water flow to clear small hand shovel loads of sand in about 5 -7 seconds from the feed section. The front riffle sometimes does pack up, but will clear in minutes when feeding is suspended. Following riffles remain clear. Small rocks clear the sluice no problem.
Is everyone having this issue with not catching 100% of their beach gold?
How did you solve that problem?
If you've read tnis far, thanks! And thanks for any replies.
Same with Satellites, I am reading.
Some caught, a lot passed over...
 
The sluice you have isn’t suited to beach gold.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom