My son hovering my AT-Pro over a target asks what it mean if the score says 92?

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 12 year-old son has been with me on many digging trips over the last few years. We have found some notable items, trinkets, trash and clad coins. We have never found anything really awesome while out together and he actually thinks that he is bad luck for me. Today was the first baseball game of the Little League season (Northern Michigan ) so after their win I offered to take him out to the Michigan shoreline for a couple hours. I tossed the detector into the SUV and headed out.

We poked around by the water and eventually made our way inland to search for the typical shoreline finds (bullets, headstamps, wheaties, the rare fur trade item, etc, etc),. He is fairly familiar with the the codes and can usually declare a crisp 81 code as a penny, 53 as a nickel, 58 pull tab, etc. He got over a few of these usual finds and I happily extracted for him. As he wandered shortly ahead he stops and as he waves the AT-Pro over a target and is staring at the screen for way too long. He finally asks "...what's it mean if the score says 92 every time I go over it?". 18268178_10212551955145077_1645359762769260654_n.jpg18268435_10212551955225079_8398638006689813355_n.jpg18222611_10212551955185078_3943080494568669709_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 63
My 12 year-old son has been with me on many digging trips over the last few years. We have found some notable items, trinkets, trash and clad coins. We have never found anything really awesome while out together and he actually thinks that he is bad luck for me. Today was the first baseball game of the Little League season (Northern Michigan ) so after their win I offered to take him out to the Michigan shoreline for a couple hours. I tossed the detector into the SUV and headed out.
View attachment 1448307

WOW! This picture is truly an OUTSTANDING picture to be up there in the banner row! I mean....what is this hobby all about if it isn't about teaching history to the young!? I know that I might be standing pretty much alone in this thought. But, rarity, value, gold/silver/diamonds have absolutely NOTHING on this 12 year old boy finding something like that and proudly showing it off!

I may be the only vote for a banner on this one, but I promise you, this would be a GREAT one for everyone to see up there!

Banner in my book and I know it is in yours. But, think about it folks! I don't usually vote for this "banner" thing. Just ask Jeff!
If I'm voting, it must be very, very special!

Congrats! On a banner find, a banner day and a banner memory that'll be hard to top!

And.....BTB, be careful about "tossing the ATP in the SUV". They're sturdy! They'll take a lot of punishment! But, they do have feelings. You might just get it upset with you! Might be why your son found that instead of you. :tongue3:

WOW! This picture is truly an OUTSTANDING picture to be up there in the banner row! I mean....what is this hobby all about if it isn't about teaching history to the young!? I know that I might be standing pretty much alone in this thought. But, rarity, value, gold/silver/diamonds have absolutely NOTHING on this 12 year old boy finding something like that and proudly showing it off!

I may be the only vote for a banner on this one, but I promise you, this would be a GREAT one for everyone to see up there!

Banner in my book and I know it is in yours. But, think about it folks! I don't usually vote for this "banner" thing. Just ask Jeff!
If I'm voting, it must be very, very special!

Congrats! On a banner find, a banner day and a banner memory that'll be hard to top!

And.....BTB, be careful about "tossing the ATP in the SUV". They're sturdy! They'll take a lot of punishment! But, they do have feelings. You might just get it upset with you! Might be why your son found that instead of you. :tongue3:

This will truly go down as one of those moments that i, as his dad, will never forget. The look on that kid's face was that of absolute surprise and disbelief. He has been carrying it around with him all day (and slept with it near the corner of his bed). I have been truly blessed.

On a semi-related note...you never know what it will take to get hooked on a sport. It could be something as simple as having him help to track that deer (and finding it). He has been an avid outdoorsman ever since this pic was taken.

Michael G
Harbor Springs, MI

Attachments

• 427883_4713767653361_1535471496_n.jpg
    427883_4713767653361_1535471496_n.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
This will truly go down as one of those moments that i, as his dad, will never forget. The look on that kid's face was that of absolute surprise and disbelief. He has been carrying it around with him all day (and slept with it near the corner of his bed). I have been truly blessed.

On a semi-related note...you never know what it will take to get hooked on a sport. It could be something as simple as having him help to track that deer (and finding it). He has been an avid outdoorsman ever since this pic was taken.

Michael G
Harbor Springs, MI

Yes! It is one of the most extreme pleasures of being a parent! They are few and far between these days, but OH sooooo worth the effort!

I've always maintained that if the schools would just wake up to the concept, this hobby could teach a LOT of youngsters the value of history. Can you imagine the effect it might have if the kids read about a battle from the civil war and then go on a field trip, even to their own schoolyard!? They dig up just ONE civil war bullet and they have, in their hand, PROOF and something from the very thing they'd read about!

It's no longer just words in a book. It's what happened, on that very spot a long time ago!

When my dad was twelve he buried hundreds of foreign coins in his backyard, I found some of them visiting his childhood home years back (his parents still lived there). I guess my father was the opposite of your son, instead of finding stuff he was burying stuff. :laughing7: When I was twelve I was hunting for coins out of circulation. When I was 6 I saw an advertisement in the phone-book from the local coin shop for 5 free foreign coins. I still remember filling it out with my mom and mailing it. I probably still have the coins mixed in with my current foreign coin collection.

Congrats on the great find to both of you and hope that you share many more memories like this. It's amazing how beautiful the coins were back then. The best of luck on the next hunt.

sweet, kind of like the kid going out hunting for the first time and shooting a Boone and Crockett buck:hello2:

I didn't look at the second page and just now saw that he has gotten a good buck! sweet

Nice hunk of silver, lad! :icon_thumright:
A good, shared experience that is worth more than that silver - is the time spent with your son!
Enjoy every minute, as kids tend to grow up, all too soon...!

The last time I saw a 92 it was visiting the old folks home, and trust me.........that 92 didn't look so good! :laughing7:

Nice job finding a great coin with your son!

Excellent write up.
Congrats to the both of you

Wow, talk about an amazing find! Congrats to you and your son!

Great find !!!!Now you created a Monster . If your AT PRO starts going missing youll know why Good Father son moment... Keep that coin in a case and save the memory.. Thanks for sharing.

Hi; I bet the greatest Treasure found that day was the smile on your sons face.!!! Congrats. Many happy hunts together. PEACE:RONB

Do you have a better shot of the reverse? I think I see a D mintmark which would make it a semi-key date and about a $50-60 coin in Fine condition. Way to go!

Do you have a better shot of the reverse? I think I see a D mintmark which would make it a semi-key date and about a $50-60 coin in Fine condition. Way to go!

You are right!!! That is definitely a 'D' on there :)

Very cool story and outstanding find! Good team work too :icon_thumright:

"A "92"means dig, ahh say dig, son" (channel your Foghorn Leghorn voice)

A GREAT way to get your kid hooked is to have them find something like that...nicely done, dad!

Excellent post. Puts a smile on your face.

Congrats to the young fellow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back