My take on the Gray Ghost Amphibian head phones

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My headphones arrived yesterday so today I thought I would give them a try in my yard. I didn't expect to find anything because I went over this place with a fine tooth comb except around some big red maple tree's, I stayed away from them because of the roots, so that is where I thought I would try them out.

My first impression was the top cushion looked kind of cheesy, but it was comfortable when placed on my head so it worked better than it looked. I bought these for the fact they are waterproof and their sound. The sound on these headphones is fantastic, much clearer than the stock headphones and I was able to dial the sound up rather high and that surprised me; I am hard of hearing. The cable is longer on these than on the stock pair, which makes it more comfortable to work with them on until I get on the ground where I take them off. Overall I will give these a thumbs up and recommend them to anyone in the market for a pair of waterproof headphones.

As for what I found, if anything, I did locate a 1968 Penny, I swear there is penny sex in this yard, and a old MAIL, RF.D padlock under that tree. The lock was pretty beat up, someone tried smashing and cutting it but it still is pretty cool. My research shows it was manufactured between 1910 and 1920, and that in itself is pretty damn cool.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myron, Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked them. Be sure and attach the cord under your arm cuff for stress relief as per the manufacturers instructions.

Congrats on the RFD lock, those are cool .

Wayne

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thanks Wayne for getting them to me in fast order. I actually use Three pieces of velcro to secure the cable to the shaft always have, if the cable pulls apart it's not because of neglect. I did read that, and the registration will be in the mail tomorrow.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you like them,BP!:thumbsup: The rain isn't gonna bring things to a hault now!:laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My headphones arrived yesterday so today I thought I would give them a try in my yard. I didn't expect to find anything because I went over this place with a fine tooth comb except around some big red maple tree's, I stayed away from them because of the roots, so that is where I thought I would try them out.

My first impression was the top cushion looked kind of cheesy, .
... Now when you say cheesy do you mean cheaply made.... I was thinking of getting a pair but i am sick of getting accessories for detectors that is cheap & junk...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Now when you say cheesy do you mean cheaply made.... I was thinking of getting a pair but i am sick of getting accessories for detectors that is cheap & junk...

Keppy, I would not call them cheap, they seem well made and they are comfortable. Just had a pair put on one of my excals.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not at all, the Gray Ghost Amphibians are excellent head phones what I was referring too was the padding on the ban on top, it looked cheesy, but in reality it works great and since these are for water use I understand the design. I would highly recommend these headphones; the sound quality is excellent.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen them so I Google image searched and notice that in all the images the headphone jack looked like it wasn't standard? It looked similar to the AT Pro cord.

EDIT: I guess they are dedicated to certain machines :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OK ..TH ..& bad.... If you both say they are good phones i will give them a try..............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen them so I Google image searched and notice that in all the images the headphone jack looked like it wasn't standard? It looked similar to the AT Pro cord.

Mine are hardwired on the circuit board my excals....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair as well. They are a good head set but I couldn't get the jack to connect to the ATP until I swaped out the "O" ring with the one from my old set. It seems to be a harder rubber compound. The other negative is that I wear hearing aids but these new ones fit much closer to the ear and make my hearing aids scream. So I took my aids out and now they are not as loud to me as my old set that I can use with my hearing aids. I am not sure if I am going to keep them yet, maybe keep them as a back up.
ZDD

Last edited:

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, XP Deus 1 and Deus 2, Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We manufactured them with the Garrett connector already attached.

OldeBeechnut is making mods using them with other connectors: definitely for the Minelab Excal and most possibly for the CTX too.

Thanks.

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first I have heard about anyone having an O ring issue - and I have personally tested over 100 of these headphones by plugging each one of them into my AT and never had that problem. Maybe the issue is on the female end at your machine. However, I'm happy you were able to figure it out.

Regarding your hearing aid issue - did you try turning down the volume slightly - I don't know what you mean about them "making your hearing aids scream"?

These seem to be two very specific issues for you. I'm sorry.

I have a pair as well. They are a good head set but I couldn't get the jack to connect to the ATP until I swaped out the "O" ring with the one from my old set. It seems to be a harder rubber compound. The other negative is that I wear hearing aids but these new ones fit much closer to the ear and make my hearing aids scream. So I took my aids out and now they are not as load to me as my old set. I am not sure if I am going to keep them yet, maybe keep them as a back up.
ZDD

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My O ring was dry on my set so I took some Silicone gel, which I purchased in a hardware store; it is used for drinking faucets, and cost about two bucks, smeared a very little on the O ring and presto, no problem getting it on. Honestly, anytime I change batteries or coils I always add a fresh smear of Silicone Gel. I guess because I was a hunter and military guy I believe in taking care of my equipment, and to me making sure my MD remains water tight is important.

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes silicone gel is a double edged sword. It helps the O ring slide in and makes a nice tight seal...but it also attracts sand and dirt.

We discussed shipping them out after being "greased" but we were concerned that the O ring would pick up some contaminants along the ride...

Thanks for the tip!

My O ring was dry on my set so I took some Silicone gel, which I purchased in a hardware store; it is used for drinking faucets, and cost about two bucks, smeared a very little on the O ring and presto, no problem getting it on. Honestly, anytime I change batteries or coils I always add a fresh smear of Silicone Gel. I guess because I was a hunter and military guy I believe in taking care of my equipment, and to me making sure my MD remains water tight is important.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a small squeeze tube included with the headphones would be the answer for those guys that may not realize they need a little.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cheep junk look at what your swinging it would be an improvement

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiya Badpenny. Do you know if the grease you mentioned is conductive? You wouldn't want to short any of the pins. I have always feared using any for that reason.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it is not; I checked.

Top Member Reactions