My Wife checks Coinstar and she got a good one!

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well a few weeks ago I got my Wife to check a Coinstar machine while at the store. Nothing was found then but she has been checking them everytime she goes and today she scored. She found this 1943D Steel War Penny. It was the only coin but I am so proud of her and now she is excited to see what the future brings. So I got her interested in MDing and now Coinstar! I'm on a roll!, LOL.

Now I am not up on conditions or value of this coin so any help would be nice. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20170413_170005315_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20170413_170016645_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20170413_171553260_HDR~2.jpg

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell your wife to keep her eyes open for a 1943 copper cent. That would be the Holy Grail. Steel pennies are not that valuable, but a nice score none the less. Congrats.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worth a whole lot - but for free its a great score! How did you talk your wife into checking the slot? Usually they are too embarrassed. Me? Ill stick my whole paw in there and root around.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worth a whole lot - but for free its a great score! How did you talk your wife into checking the slot? Usually they are too embarrassed. Me? Ill stick my whole paw in there and root around.

She does as she is told.... Op, ahhh, ouch...I just got slapped!
No seriously she just liked some change I found and decided why not, its free money and if an oldie pops out then that much better. Nothing embarrasses her so she is a good Hunter to have around.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell your wife to keep her eyes open for a 1943 copper cent. That would be the Holy Grail. Steel pennies are not that valuable, but a nice score none the less. Congrats.

Thanks, will do.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a "PENNY" of like 1988 or something.

I think you are probably very close to correct Emily! Welcome to the forums! I hope you post some of your Rocks soon. I am sure I will enjoy them. Good Hunting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
1943 coppers are pretty darned rare, but as long as she keeps checking she is bound to profit.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look closer at the edge of that penny.
I do believe your wife has recovered a 1943
Steel plated copper penny
Congratulations

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look closer at the edge of that penny.
I do believe your wife has recovered a 1943
Steel plated copper penny
Congratulations

I will check that better tomorrow. Thanks.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always check the coinstar return. I ended up with about 7 pieces of silver last year from it.

GT

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Primus Palus, another little fun fact to learn from here. I never thought about it until someone noted that they found silver in one. Just have to remember to check when going by it and that the last person to use it has gone away far enough not to see you reach in to check. Some people just don't know or think to check. Treasure, no swinging required. Hey Retired Fire, Congrats to the wife for her find. Add another Coinstar search convert?

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean, "check Coinstar"? See if people leave change behind?

Yes, like SCdigger and dsdigger said be sure to check when you pass by a Coinstar machine. There is a return tray low down on the front of the machine that catches rejected coins. These can be old, bent, foreign, silver, steels, tokens, rings, gold or anything that is not in U.S. circulation at the moment. So it could be a huge find or just a paper clip. No matter what it is it is free! LOL

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1943 coppers are pretty darned rare, but as long as she keeps checking she is bound to profit.

I thought I found one once, got pretty excited when I saw the value. Then I read that people used to plate the regular steels to look like 1943 coppers, there's a bunch of those out there. I have a fake, still interesting though. Cool find, steel pennies are fun :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love free coins without digging. Check out two machines, no luck.

We only find coins in about 1 out of 10 checks. But if you don't check someone else wins. It only takes a second everytime your at the store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread