My wife inherited her mothers Jewelry . . . Cant identify some pieces

S

Smee

My wife inherited her mother's Jewelry . . . Can't identify some pieces

Earlier this year, my wife's mother's estate was settled. In lieu of monetary compensation for acting as administratrix of the estate, my wife asked for (and got) her mother's jewelry.

My wife has never been one to wear jewelry, but even her eyes light up at some of the pieces of Coro, Eisenberg, Lisner, and numerous other makers of fine costume jewelry. She never realized how much there was, and I guess it is a way to hold on to some memories when she goes through it.

She recently came across a pin/brooch she cannot identify at all. It is extremely unusual, to me anyways, but here goes. The pin is gold tone, with a glass center. Embedded in the glass are some very delicate flowers and leaves, all in gold tone. The clasp on back, according to my wife, should date the pin to sometime before the end of the 19th century. I don't know, but she insists it does.

Any clues?

A front view:
front.jpg

A back view:
back.jpg

The flower:
flower.jpg

If you can help, PM me. She is planning on selling some of the jewelry, but wants to make sure she holds on to the good stuff.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Re: My wife inherited her mother's Jewelry . . . Can't identify some pieces

I think that that may be a Mourning brooch. Does it look like there could be a lock of hair inside of it? During the Victorian era and even much Earlier, they made alot of mourning jewelry, which is what it looks like, What else do you have?

OP
OP
S

Smee

Conservative estimate, including only those items we know the value of, about 10 grand retail.

She has numerous pieces which cannot be identified with certainty unless someone is very experienced with things like unmarked pieces (Eisenberg Ice, Coro, etc.) and "patent jewelry" which are only marked with a patent number.

The wife is going to Monroe, Louisiana today to see if she can sell the entire collection in one shot. She decided to let it all go, if she can get a decent price for it.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Did you get your jewelry sold? That looks like a mourning brooch to me too.

OP
OP
S

Smee

Well, after doing a bit of research, I cannot find another like it.

The size is consistent with the hundred or so mourning brooches (I learned the correct spelling!) I've been looking at on the internet. The pin on the back, and how it is positioned and the length (the old victorian pins' point extended beyond the piece's edge) seems to date it as my wife had said, to the late 19th century.

My wife thinks the idea of a mourning brooch is kind of creepy after I showed her some others with hair in them. This one has no hair visible, but the back may come off. I wouldn't try to remove it because I was afraid of damaging the piece.

If anyone has an idea of the value, or would be interested in purchasing this brooch, let me know.

OP
OP
S

Smee

Here's a couple more pieces we can't identify the maker of.

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0055.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0068.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread