What's new

Mysterious Medieval Armor?

buckproductions

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 14, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm trying to figure out where this mysterious artefact comes from and, well, what the heck it is!? It looks like a belt but its shape seems to be more like that of a horse's harness. There is a number carved on the lock. It could be a date or a model number? 1794.

If ANYONE has any idea what this thing is, please contact me!
 

Attachments

  • metal belt 9.webp
    metal belt 9.webp
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,149
Is it safe to assume there used to be something hanging from the small holes on the "dangley" things? Any sign of wear in the small holes? Could it have been a crotal bell collar?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
SBB: the Haines you show is actually in two pieces, and I THINK it's proper position is on the outside of the leather horse collar, but I don't know that for sure. Related there somewhere. You know what the leather horse collar looks like: large black pear shaped thing, larger in diameter on the broad top end than the thinner bottom point end. Almost like a toilet seat in Walmart.
 
Upvote 0
Hey Matt ~

Do you mean something like this? Now I'm looking at "Sword Belts," such as those worn by Knights in shining armor. I guess if you throw enough mud against the wall, eventually some of it will stick. (Lol).

But what I'd really like to know is the overall shape? If its oval, I'm going with collar. But if its round, I'm going with sword belt.

SBB
 

Attachments

  • What Is It Metal Belt Cropped - Painted.webp
    What Is It Metal Belt Cropped - Painted.webp
    12 KB · Views: 897
  • Sword Belt - Masonic with attachments.webp
    Sword Belt - Masonic with attachments.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 781
Upvote 0
buckp i emailed jim the pic,he said it could be,from a carousel ride,but if it
is it would prob be from the 20s-30s,he said it could be,a collar for a circus
act horse to.sorry i couldnt be of more help
 
Upvote 0
HPD ~

I looked at a jillion carousel horses, but 99.9% of them had carved/painted collars. The .01% I don't remember, other than they were different than the item in question. :icon_scratch:

Any suggestions?

SBB

Here's some more of those "dangley things" (sword chains) for DCMatt
 

Attachments

  • Sword Chains (205x400).webp
    Sword Chains (205x400).webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 958
Upvote 0
It's a tremendous piece. It appears to be iron. Does a magnet stick to it?

Nate
 
Upvote 0
Nice looking piece, Did you find it in a cave, in the dirt, or buy it somewhere?.........NGE P.S. I don't see any apparent corrosion of any kind, if there was....nice job cleaning it up.
 
Upvote 0
Buck ~

I know it can be hard to keep track of things at times, but if you could answer a couple of questions, I'm sure it will benifit everyone concerned. It appears I am not the only one who is a little confused regarding the "Belt" vs "Collar" debate. If we knew the following, it would help to narrow down our searches.

1. Do you think it is a belt or a horse collar?

A:


2. When laid out is it oval shaped or round?
(By "oval" I mean does one end have a smaller curve than the other?)

A:

3. Could you give us a more detailed description of "the makers mark?

A:

4. In your pictures it appears the "eyelets" (brackets with little holes) are mounted
in opposite directions. Can you explain this? And are they reverseable? (Swing up
and down?)

A:

5. What is the exact measurement of the overall (outer) circumference?

A:

6. Where did you get it?

A:

7. How'z about another picture of it laid out on a table?

Easy-Smeasy ... Just copy/paste to a new page and fill in the blanks.

Thanks a lot.

SBB
 
Upvote 0
buckp,a couple more Qs,see jpg,your 1st post says contact you with info,i guess
i'll do that,you have an interesting whats it
 

Attachments

  • h collar.webp
    h collar.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0
Very puzzling find--very fascinating. Hope you solve this one.

All the best,

Lanny
 
Upvote 0
OK, just taking a guess, but I have seen pictures in books where "Big Cats" had collars similar to this. The part where "Bucks" finger is like the "handle", and the part opposite is polished, just as you would expect if the animals throat had rubbed against over time. The small links could be for bells etc, and the bigger links could be for extra chains for control. Just a wild guess though :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I hope this turns out to be an authentic relic, but it is extremely clean and the chance that this is a replica is probably pretty good without a bit more of the story..
 
Upvote 0
Decorative horse bit. Probably middle eastern but could be mexican.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom