perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I found this mystery button in a forest preserve in the Chicago area today. I believe it is brass. On the front, It has an interesting cross with a ball in the middle with 4 "arms" jutting out from it. Although the back isn't in good shape, I believe I can see the following script, "B & P Extra." Unfortunately, I can't find anything online.

Can anyone identify this button? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Button1.jpeg
    Button1.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Button2.jpeg
    Button2.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 41

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perdidogringo said:
> I believe I can see the following script, "B & P Extra."
> Unfortunately, I can't find anything online.

That's because the backmark actually says "B&B" -- which would be the button-making firm of Benedict & Burnham, which was in business in Waterbury CT from 1834-1843.

Before anybody asks:
No, I do not recognize the extremely unusual emblem/logo on the button's front. Of course I've seen a cross, but never seen a disc with 4 bent golf clubs arranged equidistantly. The "bent golf clubs" actually remind me of the bent B-17 bomber aircraft propeller blades seen in WW2 photos when the bomber had to land on the concrete runway without a landing-gear (wheels). Of course, that can't be on an 1830s/40s button. Has anybody here ever seen that strange emblem in an early-1800s context?

Upvote 6
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perdidogringo said:
> I believe I can see the following script, "B & P Extra."
> Unfortunately, I can't find anything online.

That's because the backmark actually says "B&B" -- which would be the button-making firm of Benedict & Burnham, which was in business in Waterbury CT from 1834-1843.

Before anybody asks:
No, I do not recognize the extremely unusual emblem/logo on the button's front. Of course I've seen a cross, but never seen a disc with 4 bent golf clubs arranged equidistantly. The "bent golf clubs" actually remind me of the bent B-17 bomber aircraft propeller blades seen in WW2 photos when the bomber had to land on the concrete runway without a landing-gear (wheels). Of course, that can't be on an 1830s/40s button. Has anybody here ever seen that strange emblem in an early-1800s context?
Thanks for the feedback, Cannon! When i found the button, it did remind me of a couple of buttons I found along the Camino de los Cruces in Panama a few years back; they were military buttons from the wars of independence from Spain in the 1820s. I really didn't think it was possible to find such an old relic in the S/W suburbs of Chicago, where history is lacking (well, history involving lost metal anyway).

I hope someone can identify the logo on the button's front. I'm wondering if it was worn by some sort of clergy?

Upvote 5

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a photo of the front without the penny in the photo, I'm trying to do an image search but all the results are of a penny and similar coins but not a similar button/design.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a photo of the front without the penny in the photo, I'm trying to do an image search but all the results are of a penny and similar coins but not a similar button/design.
Here you go... Thank you!
button3.jpeg

Upvote 4

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 4
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might have to resign yourself to the fact it is only a design with absolutely no meaning.
Fair enough, although it seems quite an elaborate design to have no meaning. Thanks for your feedback, though. I guess we all want to think our finds are special, even when they might not be. :laughing7:

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread