What's new

Mystery coin

AP552

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
84
Reaction score
265
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this tonight in an old farm field, rang up as a 77 on my AT Pro and was down about 8 inches. I've found some crusty coppers before but they were always large cent sized. I can't see any detail, debating on a peroxide bath for it. Definitely copper, looks to me like it's half cent sized but I have never found one before so I can't really compare it to any other past finds. Anyways here it is, thanks for looking. HH image.webpimage.webp
 
Upvote 10
Might be able to tell something if you measure it and weigh it. Neat to know it's something old!
 
Oy! That one may remain a mystery. People may slay me for saying so but I've taken coins that look exactly like yours and used light sand paper. It went from a blank to something I could ID.

Good luck
 
Looks to be a large cent
 
Oy! That one may remain a mystery. People may slay me for saying so but I've taken coins that look exactly like yours and used light sand paper. It went from a blank to something I could ID.

Good luck

Lol. You know, I have done the same. A few of them actually came out pretty decent. The best was this 1674 farthing. You can see the scratch marks esp on the reverse. But hey, this is quite a presentable item now. I did this one some 20 years ago.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1270.webp
    DSCN1270.webp
    473.2 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN1272.webp
    DSCN1272.webp
    405.5 KB · Views: 199
Oy! That one may remain a mystery. People may slay me for saying so but I've taken coins that look exactly like yours and used light sand paper. It went from a blank to something I could ID.

Good luck

I have too, when you got nothing, you got nothing to loose.
A coin with virtually no relief left i did 400-600 grit on a flat surface, and rubbed the coin on that, gained a couple of faint letters just enough for a pos. ID. Mostly though not really worth the effort, except the satisfaction of knowing.
 
I have too, when you got nothing, you got nothing to loose.
A coin with virtually no relief left i did 400-600 grit on a flat surface, and rubbed the coin on that, gained a couple of faint letters just enough for a pos. ID. Mostly though not really worth the effort, except the satisfaction of knowing.

Lol. You know, I have done the same. A few of them actually came out pretty decent. The best was this 1674 farthing. You can see the scratch marks esp on the reverse. But hey, this is quite a presentable item now. I did this one some 20 years ago.

Haha! Awesome to hear! I've actually pulled dates after sanding. One was a draped bust half cent! The others mostly common British coppers and the sanding just gave me a good outline.
 
its hard to id them when there toasted i find best chance is leave it soak for a day or 2 in olive oil and then toothbrush it and you might get enough for id :tongue3:
 
And it will stay a mystery in that shape.
 
Here's some pics of it cleaned upimage.webpimage.webp
 
Looks like ca 1723 Hibernia to me. :occasion14:
 

Attachments

  • 1723farth.webp
    1723farth.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Looks like 1723 Hibernia to me (if it is one, thats prob the most likely date). :occasion14:


I would have posted the same thing just before you, but went to grab a pic.
 

Attachments

  • 1723-woods-hibernia-halfpenny-type-ii-regular-issue.webp
    1723-woods-hibernia-halfpenny-type-ii-regular-issue.webp
    89.5 KB · Views: 179
Ha ha. We grabbed the same pic too.
 
Ha ha. We grabbed the same pic too.


:) and you beat me on that one too because the site took like 30 seconds to load it. I guess it's going to be one of those days. :laughing7:
 
Remind me never to invite you to a good site. ;)
 
Lol. You know, I have done the same. A few of them actually came out pretty decent. The best was this 1674 farthing. You can see the scratch marks esp on the reverse. But hey, this is quite a presentable item now. I did this one some 20 years ago.

I don't think that looks too bad considering what it took.
 
i dug a LC last week out of a drained mill race that was toast. i dipped in mineral oil once or twice a day for
3 or 4 days. i wiped it down every time before dipping it. now i can see everything but the date.
the mineral oil got into the years of crud and popped it loose.
 
Nice coin recovery and restoration!
 
Nice! How did u clean it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom