Mystery Disc From Colonial Site - Help?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it a counter stamped large cent?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it a counter stamped large cent?

Don't know Rob. I haven't cleaned it. I'm afraid too. Can't make out any detail. Any suggestions on cleaning and/or bringing out more detail on this, as well as the other piece (large cent).

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno .. so many people say so many different things with regards to cleaning something like this .. I personally would run it through my ultrasonic cleaner with a couple of denture cleaning tablets thrown in and see if that worked. If it didn't, I would try bathing it in warm peroxide. However, I am sure others will have ideas they will post as well.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dunno .. so many people say so many different things with regards to cleaning something like this .. I personally would run it through my ultrasonic cleaner with a couple of denture cleaning tablets thrown in and see if that worked. If it didn't, I would try bathing it in warm peroxide. However, I am sure others will have ideas they will post as well.

Thanks Rob. I usually take something like this and boil it in peroxide. The large cent is either an 1801 or 1804. Haven't had time to look close. Later.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by chance....does it weigh 1 Gram?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure looks like the ghost of a bust on the second picture ..outlined in green patina

Could be . . . what would the purpose of the "IG" stamped on it? It's a little smaller in diamter than a large cent.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be . . . what would the purpose of the "IG" stamped on it? It's a little smaller in diamter than a large cent.

It was a form of advertisement very popular during the 1800's. Store owners and other merchants would advertise their establishments and/or their services by counter-stamping coins, especially the Large Cents, and passing them back into circulation. There may have been other reasons as well, but I think this was the most common.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a form of advertisement very popular during the 1800's. Store owners and other merchants would advertise their establishments and/or their services by counter-stamping coins, especially the Large Cents, and passing them back into circulation. There may have been other reasons as well, but I think this was the most common.

Interesting. Thanks Rob. I'm going to try some peroxide on the large cent. I'll post soon.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
The disc does not look perfectly round like a coin should be. I dont think that rules out a coin.......... Just a thought.

VPR

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The disc does not look perfectly round like a coin should be. I dont think that rules out a coin.......... Just a thought.

VPR

You're right, it's not. I don't know if that is from wear or original to the item.

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the counter stamps were used as authenticating coins. There were lots of counterfeits being made even back then. Although a counterfeit coin would weigh different than the real McCoy. I have read that some local merchants would weigh the coins and if the were the correct weight then they would put there counter stamp of approval on the coin. I have a few I have found. I love them. Adds character. Cool find man.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes the counter stamps were used as authenticating coins. There were lots of counterfeits being made even back then. Although a counterfeit coin would weigh different than the real McCoy. I have read that some local merchants would weigh the coins and if the were the correct weight then they would put there counter stamp of approval on the coin. I have a few I have found. I love them. Adds character. Cool find man.

Thanks Mike - found an 1801 Draped Bust Large Cent 1/000 about 5' from this item. Got her taking a bath in peroxide right now. Photos to come.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the 2 finds Richard. South Jersey Jim recommended that I try warm peroxide on the 1794 LC I dug last March. I did 3 treatments. Then, I coated it with Besswax and that REALLY brought out the rtemaining detail. I'm eager to see if you can determine the date. WTG, Quindy.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the 2 finds Richard. South Jersey Jim recommended that I try warm peroxide on the 1794 LC I dug last March. I did 3 treatments. Then, I coated it with Besswax and that REALLY brought out the rtemaining detail. I'm eager to see if you can determine the date. WTG, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread