Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrappy's post in Today's Finds reminded me that I had put a box of Iron in my car last weekend that I had at my parents. I intended to treat it with Extend but I forgot it was on the floor in the back. A large axe head with a touch mark, some kind of weight from a French & Indian War campsite that later had a tavern site, and the mystery item. I have found a couple of these and my new theory is that the long pointy end went into a wooden handle and the iron ring went around a wooden mallet head. Does anyone know for sure what these were?

Attachments

• Iron 2.jpg
    Iron 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Iron 3.jpg
    Iron 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • Iron.jpg
    Iron.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you find these things? Also some more pics from different angles and something for size reference. Im thinking might be a pike pole thing for floating logs down rivers and at saw mill sites (used to pull them around and prevent jams, or to feed onto belt into mill from pond)..... tons of logging history in pa. Could be wrong though need some more pics to tell for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you find these things? Also some more pics from different angles and something for size reference. Im thinking might be a pike pole thing for floating logs down rivers and at saw mill sites (used to pull them around and prevent jams, or to feed onto belt into mill from pond)..... tons of logging history in pa. Could be wrong though need some more pics to tell for sure.
See revised pictures. The mystery piece is not stout enough to handle logs.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah your probably right, now you got me thinking what else needs a good stabbing like that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah your probably right, now you got me thinking what else needs a good stabbing like that.
For the longest time I was thinking like you, that the long pointed piece was used to poke or stab something. but now I think the long piece went into a wooden handle

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in that case some kind of horse tie up? or reigns guide for wagon? or a tie off anchor for something? still seems like that ring should fit on a handle to me though.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if that is the case that case some kind of horse tie up? or reigns guide for wagon? or a tie off anchor for something? still seems like that ring should fit on a handle to me though. it really looks like a vintage ice climbing pick or something stabby.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it might be part of a scythe handle. The long thin piece goes through the center of a wood handle and round hole goes over the long main handle of the scythe. I think it is called a snath?

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I think it might be part of a scythe handle. The long thin piece goes through the center of a wood handle and round hole goes over the long main handle of the scythe. I think it is called a snath?

Is this what you had in mind? This is from "A Museum of Early American Tools" (Sloane) -

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this what you had in mind? This is from "A Museum of Early American Tools" (Sloane) -

I was just going to reply with this ID. Scythe handle nibs. I believe they are an earlier style before they were threaded. I've found both styles... The ones like Steve posted here and the ones with threads.

IMG_20170510_202634.jpg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice id steve i think you naileld it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the ID!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions