What's new

mystery metal object

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's shaped like a book , but it won't open . There is some sort of image on it . One end has a hole in it , the other end says "PAT.APL'D FOR" .

Any ideas ?
 

Attachments

  • b-d 005.webp
    b-d 005.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 644
  • b-d 012.webp
    b-d 012.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 669
  • b-d 010.webp
    b-d 010.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 647
  • b-d 013.webp
    b-d 013.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 622
If you are the type of individual who has a lot of spare time and enjoys doing patent searches, here are a few tips to assist you ...

The following is a "class" number for period cigarette lighters ...

F23Q2/00

(Just copy/paste it into the search box)

Regarding patent numbers themselves, the 1920s numbers are typically in this range ...

1,350,000

So all you have to do after accessing a patent website, is to enter the class number in the search box first, followed by opening the individual patent numbers that come up. But be prepared for hundreds of them. That's why I suggest focusing on the 1920s numbers ... which will be lower for earlier dates, and higher for later dates. If you have never attempted this before, give it a shot. It's defintiely time consuming, but it can also be a lot of fun, especially if you find the exact item you are looking for.

I'm searching too, but almost ready to call it quits. Two hours is about my limit!

To get you started, here is the link to a recommended patent search site ...

Link: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/


Good luck!

SBB

P.S. ... After you click on the selected patent ~ Scroll down to where it says ...

View Patent Images: Download PDF ...

And then click on the PDF number to the right.

Double back click to return to the list
 
Upvote 0
WOW
Great ID, never would have guessed that due to the small size
Is there any type of indication that it would be attached to a chain?
maybe just a pocket lighter?
Brady
 
Upvote 0
~ "STRIKER LIGHTER" ~

[ Proper Term ]

I took a closer look at Breezie's link and found several side-links. One of which is the one here ...

Link: http://www.strikerlighter.ch/


And now that I know the proper term, I am finding all sorts of interesting stuff. And even though I haven't found one that matches Mojjax's identically, I suspect with a little more searching one will turn up.

There is one on e-bay that is quite similar to Mojjax's, and available (with stricker) for $58.00.

Here's the e-bay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-PER...904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba5288c8

The one pictured below is from the Stricker Lighter website I posted on top. It is just one of about 100 variations shown on the site. I believe the site is from Germany, as most of the text is foreign. Just click on the "My Gallery" option on the left, and from there you can click on the various categories that come up. I suspect Mojjax's striker lighter may fall into the "Erotik" category, due to the rather suggestive image inscribed on it. Not all of the lighters on the site are foreign made. Many are from U.S. makers.

SBB

[ This particular striker lighter can be found in the "Gold" category ]
 

Attachments

  • Strike Lighter similar to Mojjax\'s.webp
    Strike Lighter similar to Mojjax\'s.webp
    10 KB · Views: 390
  • Strike Lighter Ignighted.webp
    Strike Lighter Ignighted.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 909
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I became curious about the history of cigarette lighters, so I did a little research to see how they evolved. Which is a little ironic because they have a connection to 19th century wicked oil burning lamps ... which is exactly what I used last night during southern California's major power outage ... which we survived just fine, with the power being restored here around 1:AM.

The earliest patent I could find to anything even remotely connected to lighters was a kerosene lamp wick improvement called a "Fire Kindler." It was patented in 1867 with the corresponding patent number of 71,515.

The next item on the list was a torch-like device that was dipped into kerosene. It was patented in 1878 under the number of 199,683.

But the first true lighter (if you can call it that) was the one shown below which was patented in 1885 ... number 316,327.

It too was called a "Fire Kindler" and functioned by breaking a glass tube [Fig 4.] that caused a chemical reaction and an insuing flame. I'm not entirely sure how it worked, but it is the earliest item I could find directly related to what we now call a "cigarette lighter."

I have given up the search for a patent on Mojjax's specific striker lighter. There are just too many different ones to look at ... about 6,000!

SBB

[ Fire Kindler ~ Possibly The World's First Lighter ~ 1885 ]
 

Attachments

  • Lighter - Earliest Patent - Fire Kindler (2) (471x700).webp
    Lighter - Earliest Patent - Fire Kindler (2) (471x700).webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
Just for the record ...

( or until an earlier one can be found )

I would like to enter this Canadian example as ...

"The earliest (actual) cigar/cigarette lighter known ~ 1887"

{ Am I obsessed with lighters? You bet ya! I may start collecting them. Facinating history }
 

Attachments

  • Lighter - 1887 (588x270).webp
    Lighter - 1887 (588x270).webp
    25 KB · Views: 286
  • Lighter 1887 - Patent Close Up (586x379).webp
    Lighter 1887 - Patent Close Up (586x379).webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 334
  • Lighter - 1887 - With Box (576x320).webp
    Lighter - 1887 - With Box (576x320).webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Just for the record ...

( or until an earlier one can be found )

I would like to enter this Canadian example as ...

"The earliest (actual) cigar/cigarette lighter known ~ 1887"

{ Am I obsessed with lighters? You bet ya! I may start collecting them. Facinating history }
Nice Stuff :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
very very cool
it seems so small for a match striker, but im sold
Solved?
Brady
 
Upvote 0
My personal favorite of the lighters pictured on that website is the one shown below. It's in the ... "Emailiert" category.

I wasn't sure what Emailiert meant, (I thought it had something to do with e-mail) so I translated it, and in German it means ... "Enameled"

SBB

[ Enameled Striker Lighter ~ Elk or Red Deer ]
 

Attachments

  • Stricker Lighter - Elk.webp
    Stricker Lighter - Elk.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
There seems to be some strike scratches on it . I will mark this as solved :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • lite 005.webp
    lite 005.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0
Hey Bob , I have mini collection of lighters - this is one of my favorites .

It has no flint or striker , there are some Platinum wires suspending a piece of "Platinum Black"
The fuel needed is Columbian spirits (methanol) you just lower the wire part into the wick chamber and the platinum black reacts with the fuel vapor causing it to ignite - pretty cool :notworthy:
 

Attachments

  • lite 007.webp
    lite 007.webp
    11 KB · Views: 238
  • lite 010.webp
    lite 010.webp
    12 KB · Views: 235
  • lite 012.webp
    lite 012.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 250
  • lite 017.webp
    lite 017.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom