What's new

mystery metal object

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's shaped like a book , but it won't open . There is some sort of image on it . One end has a hole in it , the other end says "PAT.APL'D FOR" .

Any ideas ?
 

Attachments

  • b-d 005.webp
    b-d 005.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 644
  • b-d 012.webp
    b-d 012.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 669
  • b-d 010.webp
    b-d 010.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 647
  • b-d 013.webp
    b-d 013.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 622
May be a book shaped butane cigarette lighter.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a book, feels like a book, smells like a book? Wonder why it doesn't quack.

I can't read a sealed book. Perhaps all of the lost knowledgle of the ages is contained therein.
 
Upvote 0
How about a perfume container? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
May be a book shaped butane cigarette lighter.
No butane fuel port, no moving part to fire it up... I think that's out. I have no ideas! Good luck finding out.
 
Upvote 0
Can't make out the image. Maybe a pencil sharpener???
 
Upvote 0
Here is another thought .. a detachable key chain fob:
 

Attachments

  • keychain.webp
    keychain.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 554
Upvote 0
Based on what I can see of the image, I'd say the following word may come into play ...

"Naughty"

As in "naughty" French peek-a-book.

:dontknow:

SBB

Mojjax ~ Did you "peek" into the hole?
 
Upvote 0
P.S. ~

Mojjax ... have you attempted to see if the eraser end of a pencil fits into the hole?

Maybe it's one of those deals. You know how books and pencils kind of go together!

I believe the term I am looking for is "pencil topper."

Thanx.

SBB
 
Upvote 0
risque lookie book =-) nudie image was at one time visible
 
Upvote 0
I believe it is one of these

MATCH_box_striker_Lighter.webp


A magic match.

Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
I would think it is functional andhas a purpose due to a patent pending mark
looks pretty small
Brady
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I believe it is one of these

lite 002.webp


A magic match.

Cheers, Mike
I think Triki might be right ! I probed the hole with a bent paperclip , and was able to pull out some cotton that was jammed in the bottom .
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • Lighter - E-bay Similar to What Is It.webp
    Lighter - E-bay Similar to What Is It.webp
    19 KB · Views: 512
  • What Is It Lighter from forum 9-2011.webp
    What Is It Lighter from forum 9-2011.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,216
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Thanks for the great links Breezie & SBob :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
Because the lighter is marked "PAT. APL'D FOR" I am curious about that aspect of it. I found the one shown below which is a 1934/35 U.S. Patent. But it indicates it is an "improvement" on an earlier lighter with the following foreign (French ?) reference numbers ...

F23Q2/00; F23Q2/10; F23Q2/00; (IPC1-7): F23Q2/32

Patent searches are complicated enough. Searching foreign ones is even tougher. :icon_scratch:

I am assuming because Mojjax's lighter has the patent info written in English, that it has a U.S. patent ... (But I'm not 100% sure about this). :dontknow:

I intend to do a little more searching and see if I can find an exact match. If you don't hear back from me soon, it means I came up empty handed.

SBB
 

Attachments

  • Lighter - Patent (477x700).webp
    Lighter - Patent (477x700).webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom