Mystery Metal Spear and Axe - Can someone ID these?

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
The spear and axe below were found in the 1970s by my father and uncle on a very remote hilltop in Southern Utah (near Bryce and Zion national parks) hidden under the roots of an old dead tree. Anyone have a guess as to their origin. I'm guessing either a late 19th or early 20th century blacksmith made them (and maybe his kid was out exploring and hid them) or they are Spanish, but I would welcome a more informed answer.

IMG_5337 (800x533).jpg

OP
OP
T

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
I don't have them in front of me to measure but I would guess about eight or nine inches long each.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
One more close-up of the other side to help identify these. I wonder if the greenish patina could mean there's copper in these.
IMG_5335 (800x533).jpg

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess the items are part of a weapon such as a lance or spear. It to me doesn't have a look of being Spanish or made for military use, such as what the Mexican lancers would have used during the Mexican-American war . If I was to guess, it was a lance constructed by a 19 century Mexican sheep herder for personal protection and threats to his herd? The lance had been a very widely used weapon in the old west going back to the Spanish conquest. All this is only my assumption as to what you truly have. I did find pleasure and interest in doing a little research on the use of a lance in the early times of the American west, such as the Mexican Ciboleros and some images of early lancers I find interesting. The 2nd fellow on the horse looks like he's out in the middle of southern Utah to me, but who really knows?. https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/poc02

Attachments

• california lancer.jpg
    california lancer.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
  • cal lancer other.JPG
    cal lancer other.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
Thank you

My guess the items are part of a weapon such as a lance or spear. It to me doesn't have a look of being Spanish or made for military use, such as what the Mexican lancers would have used during the Mexican-American war . If I was to guess, it was a lance constructed by a 19 century Mexican sheep herder for personal protection and threats to his herd? The lance had been a very widely used weapon in the old west going back to the Spanish conquest. All this is only my assumption as to what you truly have. I did find pleasure and interest in doing a little research on the use of a lance in the early times of the American west, such as the Mexican Ciboleros and some images of early lancers I find interesting. The 2nd fellow on the horse looks like he's out in the middle of southern Utah to me, but who really knows?. https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/poc02

Thanks for taking the time to research this Tamrock. Your Mexican sheep herder thought makes sense to me. The weapons do seem to be very crudely made and I know people were grazing sheep in the area in the not too distant past. I still wonder why they were left there?

Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
The spear and axe below were found in the 1970s by my father and uncle on a very remote hilltop in Southern Utah (near Bryce and Zion national parks) hidden under the roots of an old dead tree. Anyone have a guess as to their origin. I'm guessing either a late 19th or early 20th century blacksmith made them (and maybe his kid was out exploring and hid them) or they are Spanish, but I would welcome a more informed answer.

View attachment 1007362

The spear head is a type made for hunting, not defense, as it is barbed; Spanish and Mexican lances were leaf-shaped so that you could withdraw it easily. There have been barbed spear heads for warfare too, intending to be thrown and "stick" in the enemy so that is not a hard/fast rule.

Have you tested them with a magnet, to see if they are iron?
Oroblanco

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
The spear head is a type made for hunting, not defense, as it is barbed; Spanish and Mexican lances were leaf-shaped so that you could withdraw it easily. There have been barbed spear heads for warfare too, intending to be thrown and "stick" in the enemy so that is not a hard/fast rule.

Have you tested them with a magnet, to see if they are iron?
Oroblanco

I haven't had the chance test with a magnet, but I'll do that the next chance I get.

Upvote 0

gazmuth

Jun 16, 2012
North Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garret GTX 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bottom one reminds me of the working end of a harrow used for working the dirt behind a garden plow, and the top one reminds me of the wedge that my grandfather used to have me use to spit the logs for the wood stove. I have no clue, that is just what they look like to me. Neat finds though still!

Upvote 0

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron in runoff from copper mines often shows greenish patina.

in the old copper mines the acid copper laden mine water will replace iron or steel with copper.

i have a slice of old mine rail that half the iron is gone and replaced with copper.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It also has a crude way of attaching to the spear shaft,much like Native American spear heads.Usually its a socket mount set up that the spear head has.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread