What's new

mystery "not" colonial item

wstgo

Full Member
Joined
May 3, 2011
Messages
157
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
mystery "not" colonial item

Found this at a colonial cellar hole in Ct, can't figure it out.
Can this be part of a old firearm?
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20110524-00368.webp
    IMG-20110524-00368.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG-20110524-00370.webp
    IMG-20110524-00370.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG-20110524-00371.webp
    IMG-20110524-00371.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 577
Re: mystery colonial item

Maybe a furniture/chest handle that actuated a latching mechanism.
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

it looks like brass, part of a lock maybe?
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

im thinkin, fold up non-slip carriage or buggy step

could even be from an old tractor or truck.

heres a couple pic's of modern ones
 

Attachments

  • imagesCA0EVCVW.webp
    imagesCA0EVCVW.webp
    3 KB · Views: 335
  • imagesCASLO90Y.webp
    imagesCASLO90Y.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

Dan, not having seen a carriage step before I'm not really sure but this is not very large object.
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

dont know what im thinkin..........

just noticed the penny for comparison in your picture. maybe from a "childs" buggy or?
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

This brass looking object is not colonial (so this will narrow the search) from what I can see, can't be much older than 1850 by style/manufacture & much later I would guess. Looks furniture related but the extended part confuses me :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

Could it be part of a sewing bird? Just a wild idea.
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

Would not surprise me if it came off some kind of tankard.Thumb latch to pop the lid.I've not looked much but I've just got that feeling ya know. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • j6297-silver-tankards-1[1].webp
    j6297-silver-tankards-1[1].webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Beer-Stein-Pewter-Tankard-300x300[1].webp
    Beer-Stein-Pewter-Tankard-300x300[1].webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

Timekiller, I think you are getting closer to the truth
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

I'm definitely no expert but I guess it is furniture as well. The extended part makes me think that it is some sort of ring for pulling and the extension stops it from passing 90 degrees? It reminds me of types of pull handles that swing flush.
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery colonial item

steelheadwill said:
Maybe a furniture/chest handle that actuated a latching mechanism.

:icon_thumright: I'm with Herbie on this one. Maybe an icebox latch.
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

I think its possible to be an offset ice box latch handle. This is the only pic I could find.

Steelheadwill pretty much guessed it. Its a handle that locks with the offset extension.
 

Attachments

  • ice box latch cast brass offset.webp
    ice box latch cast brass offset.webp
    1.4 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

bigcypresshunter said:
I think its possible to be an offset ice box latch handle. This is the only pic I could find.

Steelheadwill pretty much guessed it. Its a handle that locks with the offset extension.

You are soooo close I think. This is only missing the offset extension.
 

Attachments

  • Brass wigit.webp
    Brass wigit.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 163
  • brass handle.webp
    brass handle.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Brass wigit.webp
    Brass wigit.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

wstgo said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I think its possible to be an offset ice box latch handle. This is the only pic I could find.

Steelheadwill pretty much guessed it. Its a handle that locks with the offset extension.

You are soooo close I think. This is only missing the offset extension.
The shape is spot on except the offset but I can imagine how your offset can be used as a locking mechanism. I would imagine in the days before refrigeration, everyone had an ice box in the cellar. I think this is your ID. An ice box latch.
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

A second look at your picture and I believe the offset extension is inside the mechanism. Its the extended piece that makes it operate. Try to find one dissassembled. They are made right hand RH and left hand LH.
 

Attachments

  • ice box latch bronze.webp
    ice box latch bronze.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

You know what? I think you are right! Thank you! :hello2: CHECK

GREAT ID!!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: mystery "not" colonial item

Yes there is an opening behind the right side (arrow) that must be for the actuating lever.
 

Attachments

  • ice box handle paint.webp
    ice box handle paint.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 110
  • ice box lever found cellar hole.webp
    ice box lever found cellar hole.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom