OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'M BAaaaaaaaaack!!!

Crazy year heh? Personally. I was furloughed for 4 months from work. Bought my first home...(while furloughed[emoji2957]). I thought I would be gold mining everyday when I wasn't working but that hasn't happened at all.. I had so much to do around the property plus I picked up a part time job. Got a puppy! All my free time is gone lol I barely went out for gold at all...back working full time at my regular gig.

I did however get a little camping trip in with SOHR. Didn't get much gold but had a great time trying not to freeze to death at night(February!)...little buddy propane heaters ftw!!!! Melted my boots trying to dry them next to the campfire lol..

Had a hand full of day trips here and there but nothing much. Xmas day I went out and found a little chispa at a new local creek that was probably the highlight of my year lol

I just bought my own retort so I don't need to use my friends anymore...he moved to AZ!

Had some mercury contaminated stuff on hand so I made my sponge and the picked up a "kwik kiln" for my first melt. It works like a champ but I had no idea how.much Flux to use. When I tried to pour into a little bar mold, the Flux just filled it and the gold stayed in the cup lol.. oh well it worked and I got a nice clean button. 20201225_142209.jpg 20210102_110131.jpg 20210102_111800.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first home in April 2020. Shingle Springs, CA - 3 bed, 2 bath, 1800 sq ft. 700 sq ft attached "sun/mud room" 3.3 acres of usable land.

There is a gold creek across the street. I have a small slice of land on that side of the rd, but it seems to have been "unclaimed" by the previous owners..doesnt reach the creek thats probably why. I talked with the guy who lives on one side of it and he is cool AF, said dig away. Have at it.

1/10 of a mile down the road is Blm land access. Its claimed up pretty good, but when I checked there maybe some possibilities.

Finally after like 8 months I got around to poking around lol.... went to the creek early morning last Saturday. Cold AF... first pan in some tree roots. Produced 2 specks!!! Not bad!
...but that was then followed by 3 skunk pans..... I was not even expecting water because upstream at the bridge is bone dry. No rain this year!!!!! Should be raging!!

Down by this spot it takes in a feeder creek, so that had flow. I could have ran a small sluice had I known!... some nice dirty quartz in the creek.

Sunday I took my pup Rambo for a little walk up the BLM "mountain/hill". I knew there was an active lode mine near the access. Didn't know how "active" but saw signs right away of very recent works. I explored the "area" but didn't bother going to his dig... as obviously he is active and I don't want to be that guy..lol
.. I went up the rd until I got tired and it was getting over grown.

The road goes up and over into some nice ground....with little quartz out cropping everywhere.. when I get wheels im going in!!!

Some old handle bars on the side of the rd. What looks to be an old ditch with engine and pole with electrical. 20210110_120852.jpg 20210110_120623.jpg 20210110_120618.jpg 20210110_120603.jpg 20210110_120358.jpg 20210110_120338.jpg 20210110_115208.jpg 20210109_121517.jpg 20210110_115218.jpg

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospector

Often I think ā€˜bout those who first came

In hopes of working land yet untamed

The earth was good, the grass was green

Cowboys, farmers, and loggers were keen

Still, rumors of riches and wealth untold

Brought others to seek their fortune, in gold

And treasure was found, yes, indeed

Just a hint at first, then they followed the lead

Big discoveries and bigger expectations

Gave need for more hands to perform excavation

Some companies employed miners galore

Ten, fifty, a hundred or more

Their work was oft dangerous, though the small wage they were paid

Although some could be sly and sneak some high-grade

The hire, he craved not glimmer of gold

Except for which to pay the debts by him owed

The prospector though, roamed alone

Calling the untracked mountains his home

Combing the streams and hills unsettled

In pursuit of gems and precious metal

ā€œTomorrow, I strike it richā€, heā€™d say

Just to be skunked another day

And though at times heā€™d have felt like crying

Heā€™d find just enough to keep on trying

If he made a strike that was any good

Heā€™d keep it quiet as long as he could

Once the news got out and the miners all came

Heā€™d pack up his kit and sell off the claim.

ā€œThereā€™s richer diggings up Northā€, heā€™d hear

So heā€™s grab the reigns and away way heā€™d steer

And if he never found it, thatā€™s okay

He pined not for wealth anyway

But for freedom, adventure and fresh mountain air

And longing to know whatā€™s just over there

And as long as there was something to discover

He would be out there, prospecting forever

Now the camps are all gone, the mines mostly closed

All that is left are some cabins, some holes

Fortunes were made and fortunes were lost

By road and by rail, the countryā€™s now crossed

The mines brought the people, the cities, factories

But earthā€™s treasures are no longer found with such ease

And what if they didnā€™t get it all?

I head for the hills to answer the call

To seek out my shiny yellow muse

I follow their footsteps, just not in their shoes

In place of a mule, I ride on machines

Eating granola and McDonaldā€™s, not bacon and beans

Where miners were once admired and famed

They now are harassed, reviled, and shamed

Now money doesnā€™t come from shimmering stones

Itā€™s mined in tall building with computers and phones

But some things of yore are still the same

The mountains, trees, and stars remain

As witnesses to the days long gone

They bid me from the lowlands come

And though I seek and never encounter

Iā€™ll always be a prospector

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first home in April 2020. Shingle Springs, CA - 3 bed, 2 bath, 1800 sq ft. 700 sq ft attached "sun/mud room" 3.3 acres of usable land.

There is a gold creek across the street. I have a small slice of land on that side of the rd, but it seems to have been "unclaimed" by the previous owners..doesnt reach the creek thats probably why. I talked with the guy who lives on one side of it and he is cool AF, said dig away. Have at it.

1/10 of a mile down the road is Blm land access. Its claimed up pretty good, but when I checked there maybe some possibilities.

Finally after like 8 months I got around to poking around lol.... went to the creek early morning last Saturday. Cold AF... first pan in some tree roots. Produced 2 specks!!! Not bad!
...but that was then followed by 3 skunk pans..... I was not even expecting water because upstream at the bridge is bone dry. No rain this year!!!!! Should be raging!!

Down by this spot it takes in a feeder creek, so that had flow. I could have ran a small sluice had I known!... some nice dirty quartz in the creek.

Sunday I took my pup Rambo for a little walk up the BLM "mountain/hill". I knew there was an active lode mine near the access. Didn't know how "active" but saw signs right away of very recent works. I explored the "area" but didn't bother going to his dig... as obviously he is active and I don't want to be that guy..lol
.. I went up the rd until I got tired and it was getting over grown.

The road goes up and over into some nice ground....with little quartz out cropping everywhere.. when I get wheels im going in!!!

Some old handle bars on the side of the rd. What looks to be an old ditch with engine and pole with electrical. View attachment 1894851 View attachment 1894852 View attachment 1894853 View attachment 1894854 View attachment 1894855 View attachment 1894856 View attachment 1894857 View attachment 1894858 View attachment 1894859
i was scoping out that BLM the other day had an hour to kill so I drove by. Looks like four claims within the two seperate 80 acre blm areas. so, only half of the ground is claimed. i was gonna go to the recorder and look at the location notices.

two of the lode claims are owned by the adjacent property owners They have a good bit of private ground too.

Thats a cool area where you got ypur house I couldn't remember where your place was exactly. But, I rembered you were close to that area.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pm sent

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took advantage of some nice weather yesterday and hit the creek. I left Rambo (my pup) at home this time. He justs wants to play and all he does is bark at me while I'm digging...some partner! Ha.

I decided to clear off some bedrock where I found that picker. I ran 10 buckets unclassified through my GGT. But no friends near by....

Oh well it was a nice day and I got .19g for my trouble.

Oops I forgot the gold shot... its in the vial now
20210123_132723.jpg 20210123_152430.jpg

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Read through the whole 44 pages of gold getting saga! Great inspirational stuff! I have had zero luck with fine gold and so far have only managed to find one chunk of gold laced ore. Back when dredging wasn't criminal we used to do ok. Thanks for posting all that glittery goodness!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read through the whole 44 pages of gold getting saga! Great inspirational stuff! I have had zero luck with fine gold and so far have only managed to find one chunk of gold laced ore. Back when dredging wasn't criminal we used to do ok. Thanks for posting all that glittery goodness!
Mountaineer2020 - glad you enjoyed it!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the creek Saturday morning. Been working the bedrock in the immediate vicinity of that picker. Got a 1/4 gram of chunky fines last time. Almost a skunk this trip...time to move on..

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story of my life!:headbang:
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it! Hope all is well brother. I got 3 weeks of vacation burning a whole in my pocket. Lmk if you want to plan something.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it! Hope all is well brother. I got 3 weeks of vacation burning a whole in my pocket. Lmk if you want to plan something.
Whens your vacation Eric?

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whens your vacation Eric?
I haven't picked any days yet. Probably some 3 or 4 day weekends. I would also like to do some camp/mining trips though if we can get some people together. Whats your schedule looking like?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't picked any days yet. Probably some 3 or 4 day weekends. I would also like to do some camp/mining trips though if we can get some people together. Whats your schedule looking like?

pretty flexible Fri - Sunday. School schedule is still lame because of the plandemic. So, I'm Taxi from 10 to 11:30 for pick up those days. . I am putting in more fence right now and major brush work during the week and detecting afternoons when I can. Have my second Calfire inspection coming up so, trying to knock a few things off their list of chores I got.

I'll let you know when spring break is and summer will really open up for me.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have a rain check to cash in. Maybe save Memorial weekend this year?
Hey Mike!

You should be able to get in to the claim early this year with the mild winter no? I love that area. That drive down through hwy 70 is epic. I came up hwy 80 to 89 last time. Which is beautiful drive too.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty flexible Fri - Sunday. School schedule is still lame because of the plandemic. So, I'm Taxi from 10 to 11:30 for pick up those days. . I am putting in more fence right now and major brush work during the week and detecting afternoons when I can. Have my second Calfire inspection coming up so, trying to knock a few things off their list of chores I got.

I'll let you know when spring break is and summer will really open up for me.
That reminds me I need to make some runs to the dump to get rid of some trash...ugh. Well I'm always down on my free weekend which is next week. Hadnt decided on anywhere yet. If you got something in mind I'm down. I suck at detecting tho and I sold the Nokta I had. Yea let me know some dates when you are free. And we will plan some trips!

How does one end up with a Cal-fire inspection? That doesn't sound fun... I had the subcontractor for PGE show up the other week. They are gonna "trim" a tree getting to close to the power line. But that tree shades the house so I'm not to happy about it..

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me I need to make some runs to the dump to get rid of some trash...ugh. Well I'm always down on my free weekend which is next week. Hadnt decided on anywhere yet. If you got something in mind I'm down. I suck at detecting tho and I sold the Nokta I had. Yea let me know some dates when you are free. And we will plan some trips!

How does one end up with a Cal-fire inspection? That doesn't sound fun... I had the subcontractor for PGE show up the other week. They are gonna "trim" a tree getting to close to the power line. But that tree shades the house so I'm not to happy about it..

It technically was a county inspection. But, it is based on Cal -fire regs. The county adopted a defensable space ordinance. I'm in a high fire zone so, they are hitting all the properties in my area first.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike!

You should be able to get in to the claim early this year with the mild winter no? I love that area. That drive down through hwy 70 is epic. I came up hwy 80 to 89 last time. Which is beautiful drive too.

As usual, I try to get there around Easter. This time will be to see what if anything survived the fire. We kick off our mining season with a GTG on Memorial weekend. Cold mornings are more tolerable by then. GW, you're invited too.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, I try to get there around Easter. This time will be to see what if anything survived the fire. We kick off our mining season with a GTG on Memorial weekend. Cold mornings are more tolerable by then. GW, you're invited too.
Getting out of my tent on your claim in the middle of the night to pee was the coldest I have ever been lol. I think I peed on my leg from the shakes. Haha good times!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread