N.M.M.I. Belt Buckle- How old is This!!! Could not find it online anywhere!! 1800s??

ryan714

Mar 27, 2012
oregon
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.M.M.I. Belt Buckle- How old is This!!! Could not find it online anywhere!! 1800's??

WP_20140506_003[1].jpg WP_20140506_004[1].jpg WP_20140506_005[1].jpg Searched everywhere online for this exact buckle.. No where to be found.. They do have buckles but not this one. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Upvote 4

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
I got nothing. You may end up needing to email NMMI and send them your pics, ask them when the cadet corp wore this style of buckle. Nothing on the net that I could find matches what you've found.

It's a nice find, will be interesting to know something of it's history.

OP
OP
R

ryan714

Mar 27, 2012
oregon
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I will Call the Institute tomorrow and see what I can find out. I will keep you updated. And Yes it is New Mexico Military Institute...Found in an empty lot in Tucson..

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Note that your belt-buckle's form is a much longer rectangle than is usually seen. That version is known as a College/School buckle. See page 523 in the book "American Military Belt Plates" for an example of that type (which says Georgia instead of NMMI like yours) and historical info about them. According to that book, they date from circa 1900 to 1925.
The book says:
"Popular style of early 20th Century school plate marketed by several firms. The 1916 North & Judd catalog (New Britain, Conn.) listed these as 'College buckles.' They offered to make up new designs with different school names at no extra cost provided a gross [144] or more were ordered. Thomas Parry & Sons advertised these as 'College Belt Buckles' in the same period."

OP
OP
R

ryan714

Mar 27, 2012
oregon
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info. I will call tomorrow and see what they say..
Note that your belt-buckle's form is a much longer rectangle than is usually seen. That version is known as a College/School buckle. See page 523 in the book "American Military Belt Plates" for an example of that type (which says Georgia instead of NMMI like yours) and historical info about them. According to that book, they date from circa 1900 to 1925.
The book says:
"Popular style of early 20th Century school plate marketed by several firms. The 1916 North & Judd catalog (New Britain, Conn.) listed these as 'College buckles.' They offered to make up new designs with different school names at no extra cost provided a gross [144] or more were ordered. Thomas Parry & Sons advertised these as 'College Belt Buckles' in the same period."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread