Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I'm really trying to get out and detect this weekend since the weather will only allow it for a few more months.
Today my teenage son and I visited a neighbor who's modern (1970's) home sits on an old farm field. Using old maps and historic aerial photography I know that there weren't any buildings on the property in the 1900's, and there's a home about a 1000' feet down the road that was on the 1877 town map. As far as we knew there weren't any old buildings on their property, but it certainly was an old farm.

Exploring the site with the homeowner and her young children gave my son a chance to teach them about detecting. We brought our old White's Prizm and let the kids use it; they found some targets and my son helped them recover some modern clad coins that someone had lost recently in the front yard. The kids (the homeowner's and my son) all enjoyed that experience.

In the meantime I visited the farm field, and I noticed what I thought looked like the outline of an old building footprint by noticing differences in the way the vegetation (grasses) were growing. It was impossible to photograph, sorry - it was subtle. There were straight lines in the changes in grass, so I detected them and sure enough: iron hits all along the straight lines. The dimensions of the building might have only been 20 feet X 10 feet; it was pretty small. Maybe a stall or small shed???

I dug every target the Equinox hit (but only made it about 10' along one of the foundation lines just due to available time), and you'll see in the picture what I found. To me, based on what I've read on the internet, some of these nails look old - very old. The one I took extra pictures of looks like what one site calls a "rose head" hand-wrought nail.

I know nothing about the small ones I'm holding in my palm (with the dime) - can someone share information on what small nails like that would be used for?

Thanks so much!

- Brian

HTOMFRn.jpg
KL00lff.jpgua0qpwb.jpg20vbqzu.jpg

klBikbu.jpg

Upvote 3
Sounds like fun and good to teach them how to use it also. Those nails look old not sure if there may have been an old structure where you were hunting. Keep at it every thing you find tells a story hope you and your son have alot of fun.....Tommy

The one that's curled over looks like a re upholstery tack.These types weren't the decorative ones you would see on the outside of a chair but underneath on the inside.

Those little bent nails sound really good when they’re deep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back