Vintage SILVER magnifying glass!!!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in love with this facebook marketplace find!!! So pretty! I can't find much info about it online though. I found one or two pictures on etsy but didn't say the age. One place said it was Chinese. I saw that one ad said the butterfly part was silver. Looks silver to me but us it coated or soild silver? 20200906_163041.jpg 20200906_163051.jpg 20200906_163056.jpg 20200906_163100.jpg

Upvote 6

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty thing. Yes, it’s Chinese-made, but these things were (possibly still are) made as ‘giftware’ for sale in Chinese shops around the world. Generally packaged in a decorative cardboard box like the one below:

Magnifying Glass.jpg

It’s unlikely to be much earlier than the 1970s and I’m afraid it isn’t silver. White metal imitation. The handle is simulated to look like a traditional carved lacquer made from the hardened and pigmented sap of the lac tree (Toxicodendron vernicifluum). It’s often referred to as “cinnabar” from the ancient use the mercuric mineral of that name to colour it red. The name continues to be used (incorrectly) to refer to the later use of red iron oxide for colouration and also for modern imitations moulded from celluloid and other plastics or artificial resins.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver or not, still a very cool find- Congrats!!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty thing. Yes, it’s Chinese-made, but these things were (possibly still are) made as ‘giftware’ for sale in Chinese shops around the world. Generally packaged in a decorative cardboard box like the one below:

View attachment 1861689

It’s unlikely to be much earlier than the 1970s and I’m afraid it isn’t silver. White metal imitation. The handle is simulated to look like a traditional carved lacquer made from the hardened and pigmented sap of the lac tree (Toxicodendron vernicifluum). It’s often referred to as “cinnabar” from the ancient use the mercuric mineral of that name to colour it red. The name continues to be used (incorrectly) to refer to the later use of red iron oxide for colouration and also for modern imitations moulded from celluloid and other plastics or artificial resins.

Oh wow your way better at researching then me!!! Ok well the age sounds about right. The lady said she got it about 20 years ago at a thrift shop. I'm sad it's not old or silver but I still really like it. I paid 9 bucks aND the ones I saw were going 25-30 used so I think I did good. Thanks so much for taking the time to research and type this all out for me! I appreciate it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very lovely piece, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread