Nails, nails and more nails!

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We bought a house in Russellville, Mo last October and I’m just now getting around to MDing the yard. I’m finding a ton of roofing nails, screws and the like. I did find 1 - 1895 Indianhead penny in pretty good shape. I’m trying to get permission to MD around the founders of this town graveyard. It’s been here since 1838. Might find interesting stuff there.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The

Upvote 19

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. I’m trying to get permission to MD around the founders of this town graveyard.
Are you serious? You’re going to take a shovel to a graveyard? Talk about giving metal detectors a bad name! I’ve detected since 1981. If I saw someone detecting in a graveyard around here I’d either confront them or call the sheriff.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great looking Indian - congrats !

As already mentioned - hunting a Cemetery is not respectful and very bad PR for the hobby.
What you can do without offending anyone is to hunt the Parking area for the Cemetery.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We bought a house in Russellville, Mo last October and I’m just now getting around to MDing the yard. I’m finding a ton of roofing nails, screws and the like. I did find 1 - 1895 Indianhead penny in pretty good shape. I’m trying to get permission to MD around the founders of this town graveyard. It’s been here since 1838. Might find interesting stuff there. View attachment 2145279 View attachment 2145278 The
Well done on the IH, it's in fine shape.

As for getting permission to detect the graveyard.
Do a pass on that one.

It's all about the optics of a person with a metal detector near a grave-period.
Even if one has permission for looking within the boundaries of a cemetery, others will think different.

It only takes the right person to photograph/post up on a social media site/and all the negative comes down on every person that detects.

Over the years I have been granted permission (without even asking) by folks that sit on the cemetery boards to detect in the graveyard (past church sat in within the boundary)
I thank them for the generous offer, but gracefully decline as I state the ethics of the hobby, and optics when others see me detecting there.
They realize what it could be construed as, and fully understand.

OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you serious? You’re going to take a shovel to a graveyard? Talk about giving metal detectors a bad name! I’ve detected since 1981. If I saw someone detecting in a graveyard around here I’d either confront them or call the sheriff.
AROUND, not in the graveyard. I’m sorry, I should have made that clear from the beginning. I would Never MD inside a graveyard.
Sorry people, I should have made myself clear on that!

OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the IH, it's in fine shape.

As for getting permission to detect the graveyard.
Do a pass on that one.

It's all about the optics of a person with a metal detector near a grave-period.
Even if one has permission for looking within the boundaries of a cemetery, others will think different.

It only takes the right person to photograph/post up on a social media site/and all the negative comes down on every person that detects.

Over the years I have been granted permission (without even asking) by folks that sit on the cemetery boards to detect in the graveyard (past church sat in within the boundary)
I thank them for the generous offer, but gracefully decline as I state the ethics of the hobby, and optics when others see me detecting there.
They realize what it could be construed as, and fully understand.
I just wanted to go around the outside of the graveyard and not inside the fenced area. I’d never even consider going near any grave with a detector.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH, just avoid all areas in/around/near any graveyard.. Bad PR, bad business; and you never can tell' you may wake up in the middle of the night with a visitor!:thumb_down::thumb_down:

OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind it's very possible there are additional graves outside the fenced area.
Yeah, that’s true! There’s an old path that leads to it. I’m betting that it’s the old wagon road. That might be better to search. If I’m not mistaken it used to have a camp site at the corner of the main road at the edge of town.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We bought a house in Russellville, Mo last October and I’m just now getting around to MDing the yard. I’m finding a ton of roofing nails, screws and the like. I did find 1 - 1895 Indianhead penny in pretty good shape. I’m trying to get permission to MD around the founders of this town graveyard. It’s been here since 1838. Might find interesting stuff there. View attachment 2145279 View attachment 2145278 The
V

Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread