Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find Shark. :thumbsup:
I'm not an expert on US military relics, but the font looks to be very old and possibly colonial.

Hopefully someone here will recognize what you've got.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Shark.tooth

Feb 11, 2020
New england
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace/ Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking colonial also. The name of the town is spelt wrong which makes me think old.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking colonial also. The name of the town is spelt wrong which makes me think old.

It also looks to have a silver-plate applied to it, so it was an important piece when it was made.
If you could post a pic of it cleaned up and a pic of the back that would be helpful as well. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is it. Colonel James Reeds name tag from the 3rd nh regiment.

Great research on your find Shark.tooth. :icon_thumleft:
Having this background information, I think it's safe to assume that
Colonel Reed was involved in the Revolutionary War.

I wonder if he originally lived at this house or how the tag happened to be lost there? :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree that it seems to be a huge leap of faith to get from what can be seen on this item to your researched "Colonel James Reed".

If you extrapolate the curvature of the letters at the top, then I would think you are looking at something which was originally this kind of size, with a second word after 'JAMES' that was longer than 'REED' would have been... unless it's a name that also includes an initial for a middle name:

Charlston.jpg

I also wonder why there is a full stop (period) after 'JAMES'. The other thing that strikes me is that the middle line appears to say "REG. N...." which I would assume is for "Registration Number XXX". Why would that be?

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree that it seems to be a huge leap of faith to get from what can be seen on this item to your researched "Colonel James Reed".

If you extrapolate the curvature of the letters at the top, then I would think you are looking at something which was originally this kind of size, with a second word after 'JAMES' that was longer than 'REED' would have been... unless it's a name that also includes an initial for a middle name:

View attachment 1853913

I also wonder why there is a full stop (period) after 'JAMES'. The other thing that strikes me is that the middle line appears to say "REG. N...." which I would assume is for "Registration Number XXX". Why would that be?

Exactly .. I was thinking a registration number (Reg. No. XXX ) as well, Red-Coat.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1853913

I mostly agree. Huge guess work going on. (I think it post dates the RW)
I might be able to explain the . after JAMES - when putting a name in all caps & having very little room to leave gaps they would put a . after every word to break them up. Hence why the surname was longer than REED or like you say had a middle initial.
Plus a little space after CHARLESTON for ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread