Shark.tooth
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Feb 11, 2020
- Messages
- 63
- Reaction score
- 114
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- New england
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett Ace/ Bounty Hunter
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking colonial also. The name of the town is spelt wrong which makes me think old.

This is it. Colonel James Reeds name tag from the 3rd nh regiment.

I have to agree that it seems to be a huge leap of faith to get from what can be seen on this item to your researched "Colonel James Reed".
If you extrapolate the curvature of the letters at the top, then I would think you are looking at something which was originally this kind of size, with a second word after 'JAMES' that was longer than 'REED' would have been... unless it's a name that also includes an initial for a middle name:
View attachment 1853913
I also wonder why there is a full stop (period) after 'JAMES'. The other thing that strikes me is that the middle line appears to say "REG. N...." which I would assume is for "Registration Number XXX". Why would that be?
I mostly agree. Huge guess work going on. (I think it post dates the RW)I have to agree that it seems to be a huge leap of faith to get from what can be seen on this item to your researched "Colonel James Reed".
If you extrapolate the curvature of the letters at the top, then I would think you are looking at something which was originally this kind of size, with a second word after 'JAMES' that was longer than 'REED' would have been... unless it's a name that also includes an initial for a middle name:
View attachment 1853913
I also wonder why there is a full stop (period) after 'JAMES'. The other thing that strikes me is that the middle line appears to say "REG. N...." which I would assume is for "Registration Number XXX". Why would that be?