62.1 KB · Views: 255

DoranHashemi

Mar 12, 2013
Savannah, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's most likely Japanese influence cause that name is throwing me off. That is the date, 1980. Probably a souvenir medallion/token

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a city in Japan called NARA, and one of its tourist attractions is Nara Park with a large amount of Sika Deer in and around it. Perhaps a personalized souvenir token as Doran mentioned??

Nara Travel: Nara Park

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello oddcoins,

Don't know anything about your medallion, save that the face of Buddha at Tōdai-ji Temple is a well known symbol of Nara.

rushana-handbook-nara-big-buddha-edo-ero-todaiji.jpg

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
I searched the net and found that Nara Park (public park located in the city of Nara, Japan) was established in 1880. The information also confirms the "deer" relationship (on face of coin), etc. Now, I wonder if it was established July 29, 1880 so the medallion would have been a 100 year celebration on July 29, 1980?

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
It looks like a custom souvenir good luck charm token to me. My guess is that the date and name are added on demand, like the aluminum one's we have here, adding your name and the date of your visit between the indents which are on it when it is "blank".

Added: here is a picture of their version of a good luck souvenir token machine (2/5 of the way down the page) http://muza-chan.net/japan/index.php/blog/must-have-souvenirs-travel-tips.
imagejpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i tend to agree with Doran, it looks like the type of souvenir you get at a theme park that stamps your name on them , i had some from my early years from Disney , Bush gardens and other tourist attractions .
with that being said i wonder if it was the same Don Gilman , would be very cool huh ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread