What's new

National Register of Historic places?

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
1,637
Reaction score
785
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS 2, GPX 4500 and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, XP DEUS, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just discovers an old church that was part of the underground railroad and saw that it was on the national registry, I'm pretty sure metal detectin it is off limits due to it bent nationally registered. Just curious if was even possible to metal detect? Thanks no big deal if I can't plenty of old homes around just curious.
 
If the church is privately owned, then they can manage their site, allow detecting, etc.... Afterall, it's privately owned. If it's a federal site, then probably no.

I have detected at several places with historic plaques (state of CA in this case, don't recall if any of them were federal plaques). And with the owners permission, could detect. The plaque does not stop it from being private property, and thus the property owner can call the shots.
 
Is there still church services being held there? If so, then it's a privately owned site. We have churches here in CA with historic plaques affixed to them, which doesn't make them federal or state, so long as the federal or state don't own the church site. Of the 21 mission in CA, for instance, only 1 is entirely a publically owned site (La Purisma). The rest are church owned. (just an example)
 
I don't think services are held there, it looks very fragile looking and needs lots of work on it to be functional again.
 
you can always get the parcel # and go down to the county assessor's office. From there it's public information as to who owns the property (whether it be some level of govt, or in fact private). A lot of county assessors are now available on-line with various search tools (maps you zoom in on, etc...). And some of the real estate sites (zillow, realtor.com, etc..) may also give county parcel #'s when you zoom in and fly around the map in your area. With that #, you can go to the assessor's for the information. It will only be a name with a mailing address though (whomever gets the property tax bill), and no other info. But at least you'll know public vs. private.

If your county assessor isn't on-line with that much info, then you can usually go in to their offices, and from there, they usually have all the county plat maps available for public viewing. Simply flip through the pages till you get to that specific plot. Then take that # up to the counter, and the clerk can look it up for you.
 
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it, yea our county has a parcel site I can go to.
 
I have detected MANY , MANY , NATIONALY registered sites..As a matter of fact I detected a whole street that was designated as a "Federal Historic district" The thing is that the homes are PRIVATELY owned as Tom explains..

Like Toms says again, check the gis and see who the owner is..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom