✅ SOLVED Native American Awl - Looking for 2nd Opinions

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a long time ago, and Im 99% certain it is an Native American awl, used for drilling holes into things. Its was found near where a person close to me found the pottery spindle whirl you see in the photos, and it looks like the awl would have been perfect for drilling out the holes you see in these spindle whirls, or in seashell jewelry. What does everyone here think?

DSC03157.jpg DSC03156.jpg DSC03153.jpg DSC03152.jpg DSC03151.jpg DSC03150.jpg DSC03147.jpg DSC03137.jpg DSC03159.jpg

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like a Good Assessment to Me, Certainly Native American, the exact nature of the tools is where I fall short, but looks like an awl more than anything else

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lateral breaks in points is common.
Miss your target and hit a rock, this is what you get.
Hit a bone, this is what you get.
Flintknap and this is what you often get. lol ... you do break them.

Whether or not this one was reformatted into an awl or drill would depend on careful examination of the "blue" edge.
In one pic, it does look like there may have been man-made chips taken along that blue edge.
If used on shell, stone, bone, ... it should show some sort of micro chipping as a form of use wear.
At least some sort of rounding along that edge.
If used as an awl on hides, it might show a bit of polishing along the edges, near the tip.

Either way, I'm just tossing the idea out there that this may very well have been a larger, well balanced point, to begin with.

The break pattern is very common, and they would naturally be reformatted as a secondary awl or drill.
Carefully examining that blue edge would be where you'd want to look for primary evidence that this might be the case.

attachment.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, it does look like it could have been a point. Im not expert enough to say so, but your pics there are intriguing. From what I have read, the local NA tribes down here were known to reuse and rework earlier stuff that they had obviously found, so this could be something like that. I definitely looks like it was an actual tool, as opposed to just lithic debris. Thank you

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a NA scribe or awl to me. Super find and the discoid is awesome too! Sub 8-)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread