Native American Cloth?

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y’all. Picked up this piece at an estate sale in NC today. It looks nice in the frame and looks like it may be Native American so I decided to take my chances. Can anyone identify what this cloth is or be able to estimate a date for it? Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1570202863.263833.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1570202871.402206.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool find That's a good buy you never know I take it the Estate representatives didn't know. Hope you get an ID

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a little string on the back side, native american thong....:usflag:

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what area did you purchase? There are several Native American tribes in NC, so the location could help in the ID or at least narrow it down to a tribe.
Neat find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased in Catawba Co. I’ll have to take it out of the frame to check the back.

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing the strongest possibility would be made by the Catawba Indians.

Why on Earth would you guess that?

It is worth what you paid for it, hopefully not much.

It is nothing more than a modern piece or embroidery..

dont even consider these hacks that respond, no Native American is going to claim this rubbish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think xaos is out of line here.....both breezie and unclemac are very respectable members here who have opinions that most of us respect.....you however don't seem to be of a respectable charactor. jmho

Upvote 0

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t help much with the ID but I like it. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tony & Village,
Thank you for your post in my defense. As you both know, I could eat people like that for breakfast, and still have room for dessert, but I chose to take a higher road this time. Actually, I'm on vacation this week, and arrived at the beach this morning, so I'm not going to let anyone spoil my day.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dont even consider these hacks that respond, no Native American
is going to claim this rubbish.

So, you're a Brazilian expert on Native American tribes? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dont even consider these hacks that respond, no Native American Is going to claim this rubbish.

Hello I
xaos
I said I wasn't going to reply to your asinine comment, but I changed my mind. I'm from North Carolina and have lived here all of my life. My g-grandmother is Native American; therefore, I've done considerable research on the Native Americans in North Carolina. I've attached a photo of her (Suzie Hoggkiller/name shorten to Suzie Hogg shown in her Native American ensemble. . . .BUT just because I've done research does not mean I'm any type of authority on NA artifacts . . . BUT common sense tells me if the OP purchased an NA looking item in Cawtaba County, NC, which is home of the Cawtaba Indians, then it would make sense to research the Cawtabas Indians first. DUH!
Your comment about 'no Native American would claim this rubbish' is waaaaay out of line. Any item a TNet members finds/purchases should not be referred to as 'rubbish.' I don't care if someone posted a toothpick, it deserves respect.
My next thought is: Since you listed Brazil as your home, how did you become an expert on NA artifacts to the point you know 'rubbish' since there are literally thousands and thousands of NA pieces?
My final comment to you is: Bless Your Heart! Since you're 'not from around here,' you probably don't know what a Southern 'Bless Your Heart means,' but perhaps since you know so much, my comment doesn't need an explanation
Southern Smiles:)
Breezie
Suzie Hogg.jpg .

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello I
xaos
I said I wasn't going to reply to your asinine comment, but I changed my mind. I'm from North Carolina and have lived here all of my life. My g-grandmother is Native American; therefore, I've done considerable research on the Native Americans in North Carolina. I've attached a photo of her (Suzie Hoggkiller/name shorten to Suzie Hogg shown in her Native American ensemble. . . .BUT just because I've done research does not mean I'm any type of authority on NA artifacts . . . BUT common sense tells me if the OP purchased an NA looking item in Cawtaba County, NC, which is home of the Cawtaba Indians, then it would make sense to research the Cawtabas Indians first. DUH!
Your comment about 'no Native American would claim this rubbish' is waaaaay out of line. Any item a TNet members finds/purchases should not be referred to as 'rubbish.' I don't care if someone posted a toothpick, it deserves respect.
My next thought is: Since you listed Brazil as your home, how did you become an expert on NA artifacts to the point you know 'rubbish' since there are literally thousands and thousands of NA pieces?
My final comment to you is: Bless Your Heart! Since you're 'not from around here,' you probably don't know what a Southern 'Bless Your Heart means,' but perhaps since you know so much, my comment doesn't need an explanation
Southern Smiles:)
Breezie
View attachment 1759598 .

GITEM GIRL............

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think the OP item is NA, nor do I think where it was found has anything to do with it's origin, it appears to be quite modern. As for our Brazilian friend, yes he could be more polite but for somebody to say since he is from Brazil negates a possibility that he could be well versed in NA fabric art is preposterous also. My family for years collected molas, a fabric art form from Panamanian native peoples and I have several books on them. Just because I am from NY means I can't know a lot about Panamanian tribal art?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread