What's new

Native american pottery?

Jartha

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 27, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I am brand new to this site and new to finding/collecting native american artifacts. I recently moved to a property on the Ohio river, very close to Raven rock. I have been told our property was an old native american encampment. The previous owners said they found arrow heads etc. all the time. I found this pottery piece yesterday and it looks old to me based upon the thickness, weight, and color of the clay and decorative color. What do you think?

21081865_10214352515306730_364769072_o.webp21082026_10214352515706740_4528002_o.webp21082242_10214352515266729_982640255_o.webp
 
Upvote 0
It's a rock unfortunately but those striations do look like patterns. A good way to spot pottery even without patterns is by looking at the broken edges. They are jagged and look somewhat porous while the face side and inside edges remain smooth as silk unless they too are broken. I found some today that I'll post for reference.
 
It might look like pottery because of the pattern, but it appears to me to be just a rock.
 
That is stone but if there was an Indian village, there is probably something else around there.
 
Thanks for the input all! I would never have imagined it was a rock with the grooves and colored parts. I'll keep hunting. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom