Native Pottery or Modern?

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I was walking a section of my creek and I found this. I was wondering if it could be native or if its just modern. I lacks a glaze of any kind, and has what appear to tiny plant fragments in the cracked edges. Though it could just be a modern flower pot that turned black and sat and gathered debris. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 1616529

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JohnDee1

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and the raised part of the pot isn't straight, it is kind've going in a diagonal direction. My angle of holding made it look straight. Thanks!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First need to know the area. Second you would have to have a clear picture of the break to determine what was used for temper. If ancient there should be more and you should find flint flakes in your creek to add to your evidence. Where there is pottery there is flint or chert flakes.
Hope this helps?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I was walking a section of my creek and I found this...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard JohnDee1! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like part of a flower pot , as you listed as one possibility. Too thick for Native American and I don't see and tempering (such as sand, shell, etc.)

OP
OP
JohnDee1

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys! I believe it is a flower pot, as I encountered more of the vessel. I'm not too familiar with pottery, and I guess like everything there is learning curve. At least resources like this exist, thanks for humoring me!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys! I believe it is a flower pot, as I encountered more of the vessel. I'm not too familiar with pottery, and I guess like everything there is learning curve. At least resources like this exist, thanks for humoring me!

Nothing to humor, it was a valid question. And like you said you learned something from asking the question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions