Nature was a Mother" today, but the Force was with me!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Nature was a Mother" today, but the Force was with me!

Hello Sports fans and welcome to the... uhhh.. wrong forum. Oops. <grin> Hi everybody! Got to get out and detect a little today, well actually a LOT, but it was in two different hunts thanks to that Mother.. Mother nature that is. I got up early (ish) this morning on my last day off to get out and enjoy some detecting before it got too hot. It may not be August yet, but lately it's sure felt like it was the "dog days" of summer already round these parts. Anyway, got up early to beat the heat and was out at the local soccer complex before 9:00 AM. The park had just hosted a big weekend of playoffs for the local leagues and there had been LOTS AND LOTS of people. And there was LOTS AND LOTS of trash left behind too.. *sigh* You would think people would have more consideration and, well, pride than to just trash a place like that. Cans, cups, bottles, candy and snack wrappers everywhere, fast food containers and bags, half eaten fruit, cigarette butts, peanut and sunflower seed hulls everywhere. Kind of makes me feel like that Famous "Green" commercial from back in the '70's.. you know the one.. where the Old Indian fellow is canoeing down the polluted stream and he looks up and a tear rolls down his cheek.. <sob> Well, ok, maybe it didn't hit me that bad, but it's still a shame. Jeez! But, along with all the refuse and junk there were treasures to be found as well, and I was finding coins just about everywhere I swung my detector coil ! WOOHOO!!!! Odd though.. it was getting darker.. and darker??? by 10:15 AM it was looking more like dusk heading into nightfall. What??? Then I started paying more attention to the sky.. WUH OH! Here's what I was Looking at..

7-28-08 002one.jpg7-28-08 003two.jpg7-28-08 004three.jpg7-28-08 001four.jpg

YIKES!!!! That would appear to me to be a wall cloud.. or so I thought at the time. Tornadoes are born from wall clouds that roll up on their sides.. in a manner of speaking. But I wasn't going to wait around and see if that happened. It was getting darker and darker.. and the wind was picking up remarkably.. so was I, as I beat feet for the truck and then headed home till the storm passed.. if it passed. I beat the rain, to the truck anyway, only got soaked on my back as I was putting my detector in the back of the truck (I have a cover or "topper"). *sigh* I thought that I might just be done for the day as hard as the rain was falling and wind was blowing. THUNDER and LIGHTNING.. and even some small hail! OH HAIL!!!!
Fortunately the worst of the storm passed by the time I got back to my house, it was still raining cats and dogs, DAMN but the Humane society was going to have to put in some overtime today.. but the lightning had stopped, and the wind had died down to moderate gusts. It was getting close to lunch time anyway so I just settled in with my misses and we had lunch and watched a little tv, as she got ready to go to a function (news conference) for her volunteer organization. NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill), her group, with the aid of a lot of other people recently got approval for the construction of a new mental health hospital here in Lexington. A new one to replace the antiquated one that has been in continuous use for well over 118 years (Eastern State Mental Health Hospital). Fortunately their news conference was to be held INDOORS. <Grin>
Well, not long after my wife was picked up by her ride, the sun came back out, and went back in the clouds.. then back out.. then in.. then.. well you get the idea. <rolling eyes> It DID quit raining though, so after about an hour of watching the sun play peek-a-boo, and the grass and roadways anyway started to dry off somewhat I headed back out to the park to the soccer complex to resume my detecting. The storm had blown a lot of the loose trash off the parking lots and playing fields.. up against the picturesque plank fences.. and port-a-potties. That and the maintenance guys from the parks and recreation department were out cleaning up some too. I was cleaning up too though, in my own way. <grin> Oh sure, I'd pick up cans and bottles and drop them in the nearest trash cans as I detected along.. and picked up all that stuff that usually gets found along with the "treasure", you know, the can slaw, the pull tabs, the bottle caps, the other odds and ends that are pinged by the detector.

7-28-08 009other metal.jpg

And more and more coins.. I found a LOT of memorial pennies.. some on the surface, most in the gravel dust of the parking lot or in the dirt under the grass. I found a lot of dimes today too.. most of them were dug up too. A lot of nickles.. only a couple of them were dug up though, nine nickles for me is a lot of nickles in one hunt. <shrug> Anything special about a 1941 nickle? and then there were the quarters.. a LOT of quarters.. LOTS AND LOTS! 40 of them! Granted I've found more in one hunt, but only ONCE! <grinning> I was digging them up, and finding them on the surface. YeeHaww! As I bent down to retrieve on such surface find I also found perhaps the reason I was having such a good day.. I found an emissary of the FORCE. A rather babyfaced "Mace" Windu from Star Wars.. some child's action figure no doubt.. but funny thing is, I remember Samuel L. Jackson being somewhat more "mature" in the movie than this little guy. <laughing> You can see him here along with some other non metallic finds I made while hunting today. .. the code caps for my wife, a still working ink pen (one of many, but this one had a neat quote on it), a pair of Dora the Explorer sunglasses and someones lost hotel key card.. guess they had to stop at the service desk to have someone let them in or get a new key card. <grin>

7-28-08 011force.jpg

There were still a few other goodies to be found as well.. not so much in the way of bling, one cheap earring.. maybe silver, but it's not marked in any way. I found one (the remains of) gumball machine ring, a lapel pin (or tie tack?) from the "Outdoor Channel".. one game token, of "No Cash Value" <laughing>

7-28-08 006bling.jpg

and this one really neat HUGE "commemorative" coin. The Com.Coin was buried almost four inches. Odd in that it was apparently awarded in 2003.. only 5 years and it was already that deep? It's neat though, and heavy too. I'm wondering if that's some actual gold in this thing or more than likely just plated along with the enamel and stuff.

7-28-08 007tokens face.jpg7-28-08 008tokens back.jpg

That beauty was one of the last things I found before calling it a day (for the second time) and heading for home. Oh sure, I found a few more clad coins and pull tabs on my way back to the truck, and my finds bag was almost starting to drag on the ground from all the stuff. It would have if I had not stopped off at a garbage can and emptied out all the cans and can slaw and most of the crap that isn't really "photogenic" or of value in any way. <grin> I was delighted when I got home and sorted out and counted up all my clad finds for the day..

7-28-08 005all coin.jpg

That's $14.55 in clad today.. albeit two hunts, it's still one day's finds.. and a good day at that! YEEHAAWWWWW!!! More money for the vacation fund. Not exactly doing the happy dance, but I'm still groovin. <grin> Hope I have more days like today.. well.. less the sudden storms and rain perhaps.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0
Re: Nature was a Mother" today, but the Force was with me!

WOW Fro, that's a great haul. Why are there so many porta-potties along that road?

Frodov, My Kentuckey Friend,
Excellent post! Nice finds in your two in one hunt. I"ll bet that commemorative sounded nice and loud.
Tell the wife I said thanks for her support, and getting a new hospital is great.
I remember that commercial with the indian. Hadn't thought of it in years.
Hope the next time out you find a big honking gold ring.
TN Joe

wow not sure that I would have gone out in that but buyaaaa!

Nice hunt

Surfin

Great day of hunting Frodov, Congrats!
About wears me out just thinking about all the holes you dug...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

surfin said:
wow not sure that I would have gone out in that but buyaaaa!

Nice hunt

Surfin

Well I didn't actually. I mean it wasn't that nasty looking when I first headed out yesterday morning at a little after dawn. The sun was shining and the skies were clear, at least to the east anyway. But, as you can see from the pictures, that changed rather rapidly as the morning progressed. Of course, later in the day, after the storm had passed, it was bright and sunny again.. some clouds, but nothing like the storm. Oh.. and HUMID too... even my sweat was sweating. <grin> I still had a good time though.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Sweettttttttt hunt Congrat's :thumbsup:

Wow, Frodov, nice haul of clad you have there. Great sky pics, too. Glad you didn't get caught out in it too badly. Nice assortment of finds. :thumbsup:

Keep digging!

Hey Frodov, nice days take! You ought to have your wife secure permission for you to detect the OLD hospital before they tear it down...you never know.

dang, Frod, You really know your machine... excellent hunt my friend... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Prober said:
Hey Frodov, nice days take! You ought to have your wife secure permission for you to detect the OLD hospital before they tear it down...you never know.

My wife and I have talked about that numerous times.. especially as the person in charge at the moment, the hospital's management company CEO is retiring soon. I wanted to get my foot in the door so to speak, but it would be in bad taste to actually be detecting the grounds while the OLD hospital is still in use. Once they shut it down and transfer the patients to the NEW hospital (some two years from now at this point) I'll be much more likely to get in to hunt the grounds. Unfortunately my inside contact, the outgoing CEO will be long gone by then and unless I secure permission before he leave or arrange for future permission through him, it'll be much harder to get in after he's gone. *sigh*

Here's hoping though!

Frodov

Look's like it Fro....Look's like you took care of Mother Nature too.....Congrat's,kinda ran the Gammett on find's!!! :thumbsup:

Hey Frodov, Now that qualifies as a rock and roll MD kinda day. Great pic's , great story as usual .

Argentium.

Very cool storm photos!

Steve

Goldiver said:
Very cool storm photos!

Steve

Well I kind of liked them too Steve, But I must admit, the camera made all the difference in these photos. I used to run around chasing thunderstorms trying to get pictures of lightning with an old school 35 mm slr back in my youth. I actually got a few good shots back then, but with film type cameras and the upredictability of lightning, well... I went through a LOT of film. And even when I got an occasional "good" shot I still had to develope it and make prints, a long drawn out involved affair of mixing chemicals and then basically shooting the photo again from the negative to a piece or print paper. Not that it wasn't fun, at the time, but today's digital technology is soooooo much simpler. Now you can take hundreds of photos and simply discard any you don't particularly like.. without wasting film! And making prints??? Puuuuuhleaseeeeee! It's so much simpler and with a deft touch and a few keystrokes you can correct any minor faults or mistakes with the images' contrast or brightness.. crop and edit.. So very much nicer now-a-days. <grin> But those are just tools, as is the camera itself, the photos still rely on a good eye and of course the subject matter. I no longer run around on stormy days or nights chasing weather fronts trying to capture a good image of lightning, but I always seem to have the (a) camera nearby or on my person when I'm out and about. So when I get to see something that catches my eye I try to capture it.. digitally.. and if it's half as good as I thought it was when I shot it, I share it with my friends and family. This last post and the storm front moving in was spectactular in my opinion, so I shot several pictures. I almost wish it had been moving slower so that I could have got more photos as it lumbered upon my location and enveloped my world. Mother nature will always be THE best subject for any photographer, bar none! Now.. If someone can just develope some sort of technology to create a force field or a "bubble" that is lightning proof and rain/wind/snow proof.. I'd be out in the worst, and best weather taking pictures all the time. <laughing> I know.. too much science fiction. <laughing>
Oh well.. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. My camera is deffinately part of my metal detecting gear.
Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Way to brave the weather. You stuck with it and found some cool stuff.

bedpanmoneyman said:
That's a pile of clad that can help pay the rent :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well.. the mortgage maybe.. <grin> But actually it's earmarked for the "vacation fund".. "mad money" if you will. If I had it MY way.. <grin> That found money would be saved for a new detector or accessories. But compromises are a way of life, especially when one is married. <raised eyebrows> I'm happy to get to indulge in my hobby, and the found money is applied towards shared time. <smile>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back