Nautilus DMC IIb...Good deal???

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a guy willing to sell me a Nautilus DMC IIb w/ headphones for $200. I want to know if this is a good deal or not. I know they retail for about $700, but are they that good? I only have one reservation and that is that the handle curves over the control box.(See pics) If it's as good as it gets hyped up to be then I can imagine being out detecting with it for hours. I just don't see how it could be comfortable to do so with the handle configuration the way it is. Is there any way to change the control box over to a straight shaft or the "S" handle? Or is it stuck the way it is? Your help is appreciated.

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Attachments

• Naughty1.jpg
    Naughty1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 896
  • Naughty2.jpg
    Naughty2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 906
  • Naughty3.jpg
    Naughty3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,003

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very old generation of shaft, there have been two newer ones since that one. The newer one is a Whites design and much more ergonomic but the box is the same unless there has been internal upgrades.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TimC (North Alabama) said:
That is a very old generation of shaft, there have been two newer ones since that one. The newer one is a Whites design and much more ergonomic but the box is the same unless there has been internal upgrades.

I know it's the same box, but I was wondering if it could be converted from the "J" shaft to the Whites design?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I replied on the Nauty forum but forgot to mention that the "s" shaped shaft isn't really much of an improvement. Buy the Whites upper shaft but not the identical TDI one in matt black....its much more expensive.

Do get a demo and see where the control knobs (R and C) facing the coil end up. If they are getting to the extremes of adjustment then the coil is on its way out. Not the end of the world but could mean a new coil is going to be needed.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
I replied on the Nauty forum but forgot to mention that the "s" shaped shaft isn't really much of an improvement. Buy the Whites upper shaft but not the identical TDI one in matt black....its much more expensive.

Do get a demo and see where the control knobs (R and C) facing the coil end up. If they are getting to the extremes of adjustment then the coil is on its way out. Not the end of the world but could mean a new coil is going to be needed.

Thanks Brian! I appreciate your help.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are handy, you can hip mount the box as I did years ago. contrary to what many people think, it will work fine. As for the price, good deal if it works as normal. The DMC11b is a GREAT relic hunting machine, but not as great for beach use, as it is too heavy and clumsy for many hours of beach hunting, and don't go near the water or stand in the rain with it, as no waterproofing. For beach use there are plenty of light machines that will work easier.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your coil leads are long enough (I've got some longer than others) then chest mount so no weight and put a loose waterproof over yourself and the detector as there's no meter that needs looking at.

There's no speaker to worry about or let water in and rubber boots are very cheap to keep sand and dust out of the switches.

There are better wet sand machines but the Nautilus can really deliver on the top dry strips.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
If your coil leads are long enough (I've got some longer than others) then chest mount so no weight and put a loose waterproof over yourself and the detector as there's no meter that needs looking at.

There's no speaker to worry about or let water in and rubber boots are very cheap to keep sand and dust out of the switches.

There are better wet sand machines but the Nautilus can really deliver on the top dry strips.

I ended up buying the model you were talking about Brian. Got the DMC IIB with the whites design straight shaft. Picked up a Garrett propointer to go along with it. They both should be here by the end of the week. Look forward to playing with it when it arrives.

As for beach detecting, I've got other machines I use for that purpose. But thanks for the suggestions.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good that you bought it, it was a bargain. I have a DMC11Ba, DMC11b and an older DMC. I haven't relic hunted in over 10 years as I live in CT. and my many past trips to Virginia, cost too much to do anymore. I still like to have the DMCs around in case I want to dig dirt here in Ct., but I mostly hunt beaches or in the water now. Good luck with your DMC11b.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dirtdigger

Glad you bought it. I also have "beach" detectors (TDI, Whites DF, Deepstar Pulse, Sovereign, Beach Hunter I.D.) but can make finds on the top strips with the Nautilus that the other detectors either skip over or where they can't be used so worth giving a try. XP Goldmaxx is another detector that everyone agrees should not be used on the beach but it also can outperform the more dedicated beach detectors in this specific area.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
Hi Dirtdigger

Glad you bought it. I also have "beach" detectors (TDI, Whites DF, Deepstar Pulse, Sovereign, Beach Hunter I.D.) but can make finds on the top strips with the Nautilus that the other detectors either skip over or where they can't be used so worth giving a try. XP Goldmaxx is another detector that everyone agrees should not be used on the beach but it also can outperform the more dedicated beach detectors in this specific area.

I'll keep that in mind when I travel to the beach next season. Thanks for the tip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread