✅ SOLVED Navy button id...yeah I went there...

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, first off I know it's nigh impossible to date some of these things. Especially the blazer variety. But, this one seems a little different to me. The anchor seems to be applied (see damaged portion). I know it's not U.S., but could it be foreign? Home site is 1830's to maybe 1880's. Thanks for any insight. Trust me I won't be disappointed. Looking at it uploaded here, I guess I should have said "Navy style".

Attachments

• PC170003.JPG
    PC170003.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 90
  • PC170004.JPG
    PC170004.JPG
    467 KB · Views: 85

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at the button's front, and seeing crossed oars over the anchor, I thought it might be some sort of US Lifesaving Service button. But I cannot find a matching emblem anywhere in the button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert.

Then I looked at the back photo, and I see it has what is called a "self-shank" back. That means it's a cheaply-manufactured Civilian-usage button. I've never seen a self-shank back on an actual (genuine Military) Navy button. So, with seemingly no match-up in the Albert book, my guess (and I publicly acknowledge it's a guess) is that your button is a Yachtsman type of button from a sportcoat. Still, in it's own way, I think it's a pretty cool find. Haven't seen one like it. I wouldn't throw it away.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the photo (below) shows a self-shank back on a civilian "Fashion" imitation Navy button.

Attachments

• button_self-shank-back_civilian-imitation-USNavy-button_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    button_self-shank-back_civilian-imitation-USNavy-button_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[Chuckle]. Good one. My wife says the same thing about me.

But actually, several relic-diggers have told me they threw away a civil war artillery shell fuze after I showed them one exactly like what they threw away. (Each of them thought it was a 20th-century plumbing part.) I won't repeat what else they said after admitting they threw it away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to chuckle at the "throw anything away" statement myself. Not that I haven't made the same mistake, but you can say I may have gone too far in the opposite direction with experience. Sometimes an aluminum can is just a can :(. Thanks for the help with the id. It does appear to match the link. Curious they were both found at 1800's sites though. Imma gonna leave it unsolved for a few days to see if anyone might have new info since the linked thread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Facebook friend of mine ID'ed this as a 1920-30's sporting jacket button made by Waterbury. I did find out today that the house was still standing in the 20's, so that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help everyone!

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Chuckle]. Good one. My wife says the same thing about me.

But actually, several relic-diggers have told me they threw away a civil war artillery shell fuze after I showed them one exactly like what they threw away. (Each of them thought it was a 20th-century plumbing part.) I won't repeat what else they said after admitting they threw it away.

That's part of my rationale for writing the article for Western and Eastern about this very topic. Too many good finds thrown away by diggers. Could easily be averted by posting everything on a forum like this. Folks will quickly ID anything good.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions