What's new

✅ SOLVED Navy button?

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,914
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I'd like your help with a button. It's the button on the bottom right of this image. It has 13 stars, a cannon, a compass or sextant, and water. I think it might be American and maybe navy related.

If anyone could find a match, that'd be great. Thanks for your help!


NJ

DSCF7544.webp
 
What does the back look like?
 
Upvote 0
I believe it is a two piece button, and I recovered only the front half. It'd be so much easier with the back! I'm hoping that someone will recognize the front though.
 
Upvote 0
Cropped it for you DSCF7544 (2).webp hope it helps
 
Upvote 0
2C1B7E09-AB24-4E80-9368-07520DCF356E.webpThat’s an airplane
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you, Ben!

Wow, you've got good eyes. I don't know why I couldn't see the airplane. Maybe because you'd think the right wing of the plane would appear smaller at that perspective. It's a bit confusing.

But that's definitely a match. I guess it's an overalls button. Thanks again!

And thanks for the crop, Chug, that helped!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I only recognized it having seen one here before. You’re sure right it’s an odd angle/ perspective, as it kinda looks like it’s about to splash down!
 
Upvote 0
I think I only recognized it having seen one here before. You’re sure right it’s an odd angle/ perspective, as it kinda looks like it’s about to splash down!

Maybe an Amelia Earhart button? :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Ben is correct, as usual... buttons with that emblem have previously appeared here in the What-Is-It? forum. Allow me to jog your memory. It is said to be a "commemorative" button, honoring American (hence the 13 stars) aviator Charles "Lucky" Lindberg's first-in-history solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean, in his airplane named "The Spirit Of St. Louis." So is the other button in the photo Ben posted, except that button's designer showed the airplane's wing mounted in the wrong location to be the real Spirit Of St. Louis... whose wing runs across the top its body, not under it.

For me, a major clue to this button's correct ID is the very distinctive looking pattern of wavelets in the ocean below the airplane.
 
Upvote 0
First off... great finds from a Canadian perspective, love the US LC! :thumbsup:

Nice to see you got an I.D. on your button as well.

Dave
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom