What's new

NC Scraper

alaldrid

Full Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
125
Reaction score
211
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this scraper in a clearcut while checking on tree planters. Stanly Co NC
Scraper1.webp
scraper2.webp
scraper5.webp
scraper4.webp
scraper3.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice one. Looks like it has a nice graver spur on it too.
 
That one is colorful. Almost looks like a Humpback Scraper
 
That's a big one. I find quite a few of those, not the most common find though. I grew up hearing the old folks call them turtle back scrapers. They also called the round, thick flaked ones turtle back, as well. Nice find
 
That's a big one. I find quite a few of those, not the most common find though. I grew up hearing the old folks call them turtle back scrapers. They also called the round, thick flaked ones turtle back, as well. Nice find

Thanks for the info. All I knew was that it was some sort of scraper.
 
The round ones are turtle back yours is a humpback note the raised side.
 
Could be a scraper or what some call blanks. They roughly chipped out pieces at the quarry and carried them back for later use. Picture is a cache of blanks a friend of mine found. I don't have close up but a few look like yours if you seen them up close. May want to kick around that spot if you ever get back. May be a few more laying around.
DSC00009.webp
 
I find far too many of those in various sizes for them to be blanks. All of these are the same shape, with either a uniface or a side with little work. Rock sounds right with humpback. I think that is what the masses call them. I'm old skool! Turtle for me!! Lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom