Ned Deloziers Graham County NC Silver Mine

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
One of the most famous legends of Graham County is the DeLozier silver mine. Edward "Neddy" DeLozier is said to have known the actual location of the mine, and that he died taking the secret with him. Born in 1803,Neddy was the son of Jessie Delozier and Alsey Fields Delozier. Neddy was the great grandfather of Homer Constance and a distant relative of the late Martin Delozier who owned Delozier Drug Center in Robbinsville. In 1983, Martin Delozier presented a Delozier family history book to Homer which contained a reference on Neddy and listed Homer as a great grandson.

"Neddy's" mother was one quarter Cherokee. Some attribute his ability to move through the woods unseen and unheard to being part Cherokee. Whatever the reason, no one was ever able to follow him to the mine as he was always able to lose them.
Arkie Orr who lived in the Orr Mountains near the Slickrock Creek area told of a man who would spend the night at their cabin on occasion He was part Cherokee and very secretive about his journey. He would be carrying sacks of something that resembled rocks on his return trip. No one questioned him. As was the custom in those days he was accepted and welcomed. It is thought that this man was Neddy Delozier.

The story goes that Oliver Orr and his father Hart Orr once cut a tree that had a turtle and snake carved on it. This was supposed to have been a directional tree marking the way to the silver mine.

Old land records were said to show that Neddy owned substantial landholdings in Graham County supposedly bought with silver from the mine. He was said to have owned 50 acres on lower Yellow Creek, 640 acres on Sawyer's Creek, and 1,155 acres on Tuskegee Creek.

Neddy's parents died before he was two years old and the story has it that he was raised by the Cherokee. When the Cherokee signed a treaty in 1835 giving up all rights to their lands east of the Mississippi River. Neddy joined the U.S. Army and helped in the removal of the Cherokee to Oklahoma. He was a member of the Marcus Dickerson Unit of Macon County.

Neddy was said to have a silver dollar mold and would mint silver coins to pay property taxes and for necessities, but would only go to the mine as needed for silver, and would not keep much of it on hand for fear of being robbed.

Dennis Sawyer said that while Twenty Mile Creek was being logged around 1917 or 1918, that his grandfather Golman Sawyer and Jim Moore were looking at the timber and where to place logging roads in that area. They were accompanied by Guy Sawyer who was a young boy about 12 or 13 years old. While in the area, they found a horse that had fallen in a hole. When they rescued the horse, they found some old mining tools in the hole. Guy took one of the small hatchets or hand axes with him, but lost it in the woods. Deciding that this might be the lost silver mine, the Sawyers tried to return to the hole, but were never able to locate it again.

Homer Constance and his daughter Dorthea Beasley also looked for the mine for many years without locating it. One legend says that from the mine entrance the Little Tennessee River was visible in four places. Another story said seven places.

Neddy Delozier married Elizabeth Poindexter on May 24, 1834. She is said to be buried in Swain County. Neddy was apparently as elusive and secretive in death as he was in life since no one seems to know for sure where he is buried. Some say he is buried beside his wife in an unmarked grave. Others say he is buried on Tuskegee. Wherever he is buried, the secret of the Delozier silver mine is buried with him.

Added Notes:
It was about 1840 that a land grant was taken by Edward Delozier on what is now called Sawyer's Creek.

Delozier, Edward, 1880 Graham County Estates Records, 1847-1930

There is a Delozier Cemetery located in Graham County

Children of Thomas William "Pledge" Poindexter and Elizabeth Lovell
Edward Lovell Poindexter (ca. 1798-bef. 1838) m. Judith Baber; she m. 2) John Brewer, 1838 Blount Co. TN
Thomas William Pledge Poindexter (1800-1873) m. Sarah Nance (1804-1880)
Francis Poindexter (1802-aft. 1880) m. Nancy Sherrill (ca. 1808-?)
Evan[s?] James Poindexter
Elizabeth Poindexter (1810-1868) m. Edward Delozier (1800-1870)Mary P. Poindexter (ca.1813-?) m. George N. Hughs (ca.1784-?)
Rebecca Poindexter m. John Wall

Poindexter, Elizabeth Pledge
Birth : 14 FEB 1810 Surrey Co., NC
Death : 22 MAY 1868 Macon Co., NC
Parents:
Father: Poindexter, Pledge
Mother: , UNKNOWN

Family:
Marriage: 24 MAY 1834 in Macon Co., NC
Spouse:
Delozier, Edward "Ned"
Birth : c1803/08 Blount Co., TN
Death : 28 NOV 1870 Swain Co., NC
Parents:
Father: DeLozier, Jesse Sr.
Mother: Fields, Alsey

Children:
Delozier, Theophilus LaFayette
Delozier, Edward L.
Birth : 1837 Macon Co., NC
Death : 1839
Delozier, Rebecca Luthenia
Delozier, Elizabeth L.
Delozier, Sarah Ann
Delozier, Jesse Ridings
Delozier, Mary M. (Ann)
Delozier, Nancy L.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof of Cherokee heritage :

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/NCYADKIN/2004-03/1078159792
Edward "Ned" Delozier

Edward Delozier also known as "Ned was born to the parents of Jesse and Alsey (Fileds) Delozier in 1803, Blount County, Tennessee. Jesse Delozier was the son of Edward and Ann Delozier. Alsey Fileds was the daughter of Alsey Spears and husband unknown. After the birth of Edward "Ned" Delozier his mother Alsey died. Edward married Elizabeth Pledge Poindexter on May 24, 1834 in Macon County, North Carolina.

Elizabeth Pledge Poindexter was born to the parents of Thomas W. Pledge and Elizabeth (Lovill) Poindexter. Together Edward and Elizabeth had 8children which were all born in the sate of North Carolina. Theophilus LaFayette, Edward L., Rebecca Luthenis, Elizabeth L., Sarah Ann. Jessie Ridings, Mary and Nancy L. Delozier.

Elizabeth Pledge (Poindexter) Delozier passed away at 58 years old on May22, 1868, in Macon County, North Carolina.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delozier, Edward
Spouse : Poindexter, Elizabeth
Marriage date : May 24, 1834

Source: FTM CD, Marriage Index: MD, NC, VA, 1624-1915

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Great story--- wife has a bed and breakfast in graham county the blue boar inn-- heard the story many times!!!

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i moved to Greeneville TN 25 years ago , i heard a story about a local man that sounded exactly the same,,, i wonder fi the people had there facts screwed up and it was your guy they were talking about, going across the mountains it would have taken a couple days to get there from the mountains of east tennessee .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread