old digger
Gold Member
- #1
Thread Owner
I am working on a 2000 GMC 1500 pickup, with a5.3 v-8 engine. I was sure that the reason that it just quit was because the fuel pump quit working. The reason was that the gas gauge on the dash would show empty whenever the tank reached half empty. Anyways, I replaced the fuel pump (which entailed lifting and removing the bed) and also replaced the fuel filter. Then I proceeded to start the vehicle, but luck. I borrowed a electronic analyzer from the local parts supplier and it read that my crankshaft position sensor needed replacing. So with much difficulty I changed that sensor, but the vehicle still won't start. I finally checked to see if I was getting any spark, and guess what, I am not getting any spark. So, my question is; what should be looking for to be the problem? I appreciate any suggestions. Thank You.
I'm no help with any of the rest. I usually just have to try to search out the problem on my own. Past experience...Check the signal going to coil pack/s (if you can), check ignition switch(some vehicles are known for this issue, I'm not sure about GMC), You can also check your sensors, there are pages online that explain how and what readings they should give. And last maybe a bad computer,connector/s, wire etc.... But all of this is hard to guess at or to tell someone how to do(for me). I just dive in and start guessing and tracing things out randomly until I find the problem. I know the instrument clusters are also a problem in some of those year trucks, I've rebuilt those before, the little motors go bad. Cheap fix if your good with a soldering iron, but I've never heard of one causing a no start. The Ignition switch thing threw me one time. I worked on the truck, did everything I knew and couldn't figure it out. It cranked, turned on, but for some reason the switch wasn't allowing spark. That is probably a rare case, but something to check too. I forget what truck that was.






