Need advice concerning headphones for my MXT

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, well I have a new MXT and have been learning to use it and so far I love it (not completely ready to give up my DFX but....). I have been using a DFX for the last 3 years and have used it without headphones mainly because of the volume control and I mostly detect by myself. So now with the MXT, no volume control and the better sound definition between the ferrous and nonferrous I find myself needing a set of headphones. I really don't like them but feel the need to use them, so if anyone out there has any advice on brand, type, etc. it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

fccdfed

I used Grey Ghosts with my MXT. If you don't want to spend that much on them, the White's Royal GT also worked fine.

Look for the following:

1. Full ear cups to block out noise.

2. Relatively lightweight.

3. Comfortable for long sessions.

4. Stay in place when tipping your head forward.

The headphones I use now are the best I've ever had for MDing. They have a mono/stereo switch which is handy if you ever use vintage mono detectors. They are sensitive (efficient) with separate volume controls on each earcup. They are very lightweight, are in great condition and cost me $2 at a local swap meet. ;D The make is Halleonard NH-113. I have no idea when they were made.

I know some on this forum with deep pockets will argue with me on this, but I would never pay hundreds for expensive phones, expecting to hear signals better. For at least the past 50 years, nearly, if not all phones have a reasonably flat response from 20hz to 20khz, which is well beyond any detector's frequency output range. It's much more important that they provide a loud signal with ideally a method of backing the volume off for normal use and having the higher reserve volume when needed.

One other thing. You said you prefer not to wear phones but remember that audio circuit batteries last much longer with them.

I use cheap, $15 headphones with a volume control on it, from Walmart. They are light weight and work great. Personally I don't like wearing the full cups because I want to be able to hear what's going on in my surroundings. I don't think it's safe to completely shut yourself off from the outside noise. Heaven forbid someone is yelling , "Spider!!" and me not be able to hear it :tard:

Grey Ghosts. :thumbsup:

I have been using the MXT since day one (8-9 years ago).I started with the standard Whites headphones and they were useless (I am hard of hearing, not White's fault). I stepped up to another brand which I can't remember which were an improvement. And then a friend gave me a pair of Accusound by Koss which have been fantastic. I disagree with the people that say headphones don't make a difference. I haven't tried them yet but I have heard Bose makes a pair of headphones that may work well .

I have used many of the inexpensive ones over the years and find that years of shooting I have lost some hearing. You young guys lose yours with loud "music." I have settled on the quality phones from Detector Pro. http://www.detectorpro.com/headphones.htm I've used the Grey Ghost and Rattlers but now prefer the Black Widow's for all my land detectors and will soon be getting some Grey Ghost for my Excal.

Attachments

• blackwidowfull.jpg
    blackwidowfull.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 125

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back