Need Advice on a detector!!!

L

lawdog99

Hi all. I have had the "bug" for years now but am just now doing something about it. I have had moderate success with a $150 detector but I am now looking for a real good one. I need some suggestions. I live in South Alabama, close to many Civil War sites (many of which are waterfront locations). Because of this, I wonder if I need a versatile machine? Any and all suggestions (Type, Brand, Model, etc.) would be appreciated. Thanks. Lawdog99

Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Hello. My detector is a Whites' MXT. It has 3 completely separate programs built in. Coin/Jewelry...Relic...Prospecting. Each program has different audio and visual alerts. It's my first detector and I spent a long time researching them all. It works for me because it was fairly mid-range price yet wasn't a cheapo. It does everything I want it to do. It is very reliable so far. Just my 2c.

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Cant go wrong with a whites Have had an XLT for about 8 years witno signs of problems. You can pick a new one with extras up for around $650

Tom E IL

Greenie
Feb 1, 2005
Manito IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Gold, Ace 250, CZ3D, F75
Take your time,look at brands and go to a dealer,they will give you a feel for the unit.I have used the MXT and is a very good unit,I am using the CZ3D now and love it,I have a new Explorer II and trying to get use to it,not very happy with it now,maybe after using it will change my mind.Back to the you.There are good units out there in all price ranges,your local dealer can be the best info,I drove 200 miles to get my CZ and glad I did,they showed me the unit and gave me tips,I also got to swing it in the field before I made my mind up.See if there is a club near you and see what they are using.Also look to see if there are coils that can be changed and prices on they,remember if you get a detector to use in all modes you will need one or two coils for the areas you hunt.My whites MXT I had these coils,5.3,3x6,6x9,stock,12.5 and the bigfoot.All the coils have a place to be used,remember not one coil will do it all,well it might its just some work better then others,your ground type can play a roll too.I have spent alot of money on detectors only to find something out there better,I should have kept some units and should have never bought others.Will all I can say is take your time look and read on the forums what people are using and the area they are using them.The Whites MXT is a very good unit,I loved mine and wish I never sold it.

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
I have to agree with everyone, the MXT is the best next step for a new detector. i went from a $129.99 bounty hunter, to a $400 Prizm. Now i own a whites MXT and I wont ever use anything else again. You wil never have to worry about having problems with an MXT. you will really enjoy it.

Murray_B

May 12, 2005
Lawdog99, what do you think makes for a "real good" detector? What I have noticed is that metal detectors are similar to 35mm cameras in some ways.

The lowest priced ones are completely manual in operation. This means the operator must discriminate between valuables and trash to get good results. These are not for beginners even if they are sold for that purpose.

Mid-priced detectors are completely automatic and give good results, even to beginners. They cannot be reconfigured in the field, however, and this gives the higher priced detectors the edge.

High priced detectors can be operated manually or automatically and they can also be reconfigured to current field conditions by the operator. These can give great results to expert users but are of little advantage to beginners.

Since the best detectors are expensive why not try some out and see how they work for your needs?

Good Luck!

F

Floater

Lawdog left the Forum the day he posted and never came back. At least thats what his profile says. But this is good to see everyone posting about there detectors and not fighting about it. Maybe he came back as BRLA, Or ???? LOL Remeber too look at those dates on some of these You can end up posting to ghosts sometimes here.HH

P

PrizmIV

WOW! Another Alabamaian here! Im also one. (Huntsville) I think Alabamaians are going to take over the forums!!! Anyway I have a Whites Prizm IV like it just fine although I think I will be getting a MXT when I find enought to pay of the prizm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread