Need Advice On How To Handle Confrontation

Beechfork

Greenie
Jun 26, 2006
Durham, NC
After spending two years of having a great time MDing, I was confronted by a property owner on the street in front of his house. He told me I had no right to be there doing what I was doing.
Needless to say, I was at first hurt then angered that anyone would see me as a threat.
I had been working my way down the sidewalk covering the grassy area on the street side.
I identified myself and explained what I was doing there. This did not change his mind. He felt he owned the property to the street curb and I had not asked for permission to be there. When I brought up the fact that he did not own the right of way, he went balistic.
I felt I was breaking no tresspassing laws and made that clear to him, then I said I would leave if my presents was frightening him and his neighbors.
My question to all of you is what have you done to releave the tension in one of these situations?
I felt leaving was my best choice at the time.

Beech

Leaving before arguing with him may have been the best course of action. When I am encountered by an irate person, I apologize, and then beat a quick retreat. I might be in the right, but I don't want to give our hobby a bad name nor a worse reputation. Sometimes putting yourself in the other person's shoes is a good way to gain some perspective. How would you feel (if you were never a metal detectorist) if some stranger was in front of your house, digging into the grass you lovingly tend? Even the areas that are untended can sometimes elicite a protective response from a homeowner.

Those curbside areas are always being questioned as to who "owns" them. Although most cities and towns say they are part of the street right-of-way, many of the people who water them and maintain them (the homeowners) feel that those little strips of land belong to them. And then there are the utility companies who often have a legal right-of-way to access those strips in order to maintain their pole lines, gas lines, and underground equipment.

This is a time when having a printed "business" card (hobby card) may have helped you. And perhaps showing the man what types of things you are finding might have gotten him to talking instead of yelling at you. A smile, a slow movement into your keepers pocket, and a business card gently thrust his direction might have made a difference. Keep a card or two in your shirt pocket so that the person doesn't think you're going for a weapon!

Hey, don't let it bother you. Just find another street to detect and be prepared next time -- have a card, a pocket full of goodies, and a ready smile. And don't argue, it's not worth it! ;)

You did right by just leaving. Getting into a confrontation over a few feet of dirt isnt worth it as then they will just bad mouth us and our hobby. .
Next time just smile , tell them you have permission from the town government ,(which you do ) and just move on to the next strip.
I know I was mad when they decided to put a sidewalk in front of my house ten years ago....which I had to pay for on my tax bill and shovel the snow /ice from and mow the strip........but the town insists they own ::).... ::)...maybe he was just venting. :)

TreasureTales said:
Leaving before arguing with him may have been the best course of action. When I am encountered by an irate person, I apologize, and then beat a quick retreat. I might be in the right, but I don't want to give our hobby a bad name nor a worse reputation. Sometimes putting yourself in the other person's shoes is a good way to gain some perspective. How would you feel (if you were never a metal detectorist) if some stranger was in front of your house, digging into the grass you lovingly tend? Even the areas that are untended can sometimes elicite a protective response from a homeowner.

Those curbside areas are always being questioned as to who "owns" them. Although most cities and towns say they are part of the street right-of-way, many of the people who water them and maintain them (the homeowners) feel that those little strips of land belong to them. And then there are the utility companies who often have a legal right-of-way to access those strips in order to maintain their pole lines, gas lines, and underground equipment.

This is a time when having a printed "business" card (hobby card) may have helped you. And perhaps showing the man what types of things you are finding might have gotten him to talking instead of yelling at you. A smile, a slow movement into your keepers pocket, and a business card gently thrust his direction might have made a difference. Keep a card or two in your shirt pocket so that the person doesn't think you're going for a weapon!

Hey, don't let it bother you. Just find another street to detect and be prepared next time -- have a card, a pocket full of goodies, and a ready smile. And don't argue, it's not worth it! ;)

Treasure Tales Covered it Perfectly.

IF it's in front of their home.
Move down to the Next.

Most places it's the homeowners Responsability
to Maintain it, But they don't own it.

Even so, Why Argue ?

It's not worth being bothered by this. You were right, but as everyone says, it's best to move on. The property owner has to maintain the strip an in their mind, it's theirs to protect.

Treasure Tales covered it well. It would behove us to ask permission to detect that area and be a neat as possible as we're still a guest on "his property."

I would have said sorry and just left. In many municipalities the homeowner is still responsible for maintaining the easement between the sidewalk and street. If I see construction going on, I might try it, depending on the neighborhood. But I would most likely hit it at night, during a low activity period.

Just excuse yourself and go to another area. It's not worth it trying to make a point. You could end up in a box or cage trying to make a point. Especially to a homeowner who thinks you're in his territory.

Juts my 2 cents.

HH

I don't think we should be digging in front of peoples houses without permission! Sorry on this one.....if they upkeep the area by watering, cutting...no way! There are just to many places to hunt to have to go directly in front of peoples houses. We don't need confrontations like this one.

DFX-Gregg said:
I don't think we should be digging in front of peoples houses without permission! Sorry on this one.....if they upkeep the area by watering, cutting...no way! There are just to many places to hunt to have to go directly in front of peoples houses. We don't need confrontations like this one.

It boils down to a simple question, Does the homeowner own that property? No they don't, There is no need for further discussion. That would be just like someone telling you that you cant hunt your own yard, Because they own your yard as much as they own the strip closest to the road.

I think leaving was the correct thing to do, besides, there's a lot more of these down the street and a lot more street. Besides, arguing cuts into your swing time.

I have to agree with DFX Gregg, why go through all that, "who owns what
& who has what rights." They maintain the area & probably think we are going to dig it all up. There's lots of ground out there.

MichiganJason said:
DFX-Gregg said:

It boils down to a simple question, Does the homeowner own that property? No they don't, There is no need for further discussion. That would be just like someone telling you that you cant hunt your own yard, Because they own your yard as much as they own the strip closest to the road.

Honestly it would be pretty funny if I saw someone digging in front of my house! There was no question of who owns the property...in most places obviously the city...Please tell me there are more places to hunt then in someones front yard area! :) Your comment there is no need for further discussion??? Ok because you said everyone will stop.. These forums are for discussion! ...:D

Usually in most municipalities the right of way is 50' from the center of the road on a single lane road. That usually gives the city the right of way up to the sidewalk and would include the grass strip. But does the city maintain that strip? In a majority of cases, no ! Would you as the landowner let the weeds, thistle and grass go unmowed? If you are selling your home or if the neighbors are selling theirs, they would want the front yards to look good. So you maintain it yourself, even though you are not bound to. I think this is a case of the "unwritten rule". Don't dig on others front yard if you don't want them digging in yours. Get permission from the landowner EVEN though they may not "legally" own that grass strip. Just my 2 cents. I've eyed those grass strips, especially in small towns that have had yearly parades along the same streets for years with people lining the grass strips to view, but I've kept hands off unless I have permission.

That depends on your location. In Richmond CA and in many other cities the property owner is responsible from the curb back. They are responsible for maintaining the grass strip and the concrete sidewalk. They figure that if the home owner doesn’t do it, the city will at tax payer’s expense.

dfxdude said:
Usually in most municipalities the right of way is 50' from the center of the road on a single lane road. That usually gives the city the right of way up to the sidewalk and would include the grass strip. But does the city maintain that strip? In a majority of cases, no ! Would you as the landowner let the weeds, thistle and grass go unmowed? If you are selling your home or if the neighbors are selling theirs, they would want the front yards to look good. So you maintain it yourself, even though you are not bound to. I think this is a case of the "unwritten rule". Don't dig on others front yard if you don't want them digging in yours. Get permission from the landowner EVEN though they may not "legally" own that grass strip. Just my 2 cents. I've eyed those grass strips, especially in small towns that have had yearly parades along the same streets for years with people lining the grass strips to view, but I've kept hands off unless I have permission.

Very well said.... :)

Well, that a tough situation, but I would never get into a confrontation with him. Even though you are detecting the grass at the curb in front of his house, he probably still maintains the area. If he doesn't want you there I would not press the issue.
Look at it like this:
Suppose you had a grassy area in front of your home and somebody walks their dog on it. The dog does his business on the grass. Even though technically it's not your grass, it's still the front of your home.
I suggest finding better spots to MD...

I agree with the concept of just saying sorry and moving to a different spot as it is not worth a confrontation. Doing something legal is not really the issue as there are a lot of Wack jobs out there that could ruin your whole day.

When I did a lot of strip work I very rarely got into a confrontation with homeowners. However, I was selective on where I detected. I usually choose areas in which the strip was unattended, rundown and simply neglected. (These actually were the best areas).Basically areas with a lot of dirt and ungroomed grass. Areas which were well maintained I simply bypassed. I figured people who didn't care how their strip looked would not care period.

I regard this similar to when a homeowner asks you to move your car which is parked in front of his home. He regards the space as "belonging to him".
I smile and readily comply knowing full well that it is not "his property".(I certainly don't want my car keyed). Hey I have had people tell me to quit detecting in "their park".

I remember someone in our club was confronted by an irate homeowner who simply was not rational. She called 911 and sure enough a police officer was quickly on the scene. After the officer listened to both sides- he wrote out a ticket and left. It was a $500 ticket to the HOMEOWNER for improper use of 911. The guy had a huge smile on his face the rest of the day.

George

So tell us, did you find anything before you were confronted?

Well let me play devils advocate here for a minute.
If i am following all the rules of detecting,ie i have permission from the city and they own the right of way in the curb area,im filling in my holes,ect..... then i should just leave because someone THINKS they own it when they dont???
What would be any different than someone approaching you on someone elses land where you have permission and telling you to get lost because you did not ask them??
I have been in this situation before and both times i explained that i had contacted the city and they own the area between the street and the curb and there are no laws against detecting.
I went back to detecting and they went on there way.And the one time the cops did come to see what was going on and i told them i would leave they said"No reason for you to leave you are not breaking any laws.
jUST PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE,IF SOMEONE REALLY GOT UPSET I WOULD JUST MOVE ON.....But still it is like being punished for doing nothing wrong...
Also if you have any old schools in your town,and there are curb areas around it hit those.....i found a lot of old coins in a two block curb area around an old school that was used by the city and sheriffs dept. No one ever bothered me there or in front of empty or houses for sale.

I also had this type of problem!! I was mding ,were an old house burnt down..Did not bother to ask, who owned it.Well there was a muffler shop right across the street.They must have been eyebaling me for 3 days.Well the third day. guy comes over an replies..''Are you going to buy this land '',I said no!!! He said oh i thought you were looking for lines gas water etc etc..''What for 3 days!!! lol..Then he said ''Well i talked to the owner and he said you wasent sopp to be here..''.I said ok im sorry ..and left ...He was very rude!!! No !!what it really was, is he was watching me from his shop ""me finding some pretty good stuff.Think, mabe he thought he might want to do it his self...came out of there with old pocket watch/1989 indian head cent/bowman fuse < civil war relic/old bell...Place was trashed out ..I mean come on give us/ me a break!!

Try this one ,..works for me .take along a trash bag, and let people/grounds keeper/school janiter/etc.
see you clean up the trash.in the area you hunt.which i do anyways everywere i go!! You really think someone s gonna kick you out when your making there job easy!! Dont think so...So far ive had the police drive by mabe 4/5 times.. never have questioned me ...but i always wave to them ,lol ...getrr swingin!!!

DFX-Gregg said:

I agree 100%. I would bet most people think that they own that strip of land. No use getting into an argument when there is a lot of other places to detect.
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back