What's new

Need clarification on this 2009 dimes thing - Please !

Argentium

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
9,079
Reaction score
5,580
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you may re-call , I've recently switched to dime boxes , from halves - I keep
seeing posts on this site referring to the relative scarcity of 2009 dimes /rolls/boxes . I
have gotten two full boxes of these in the last week or so - the one I got yesterday is
2009 -D - they have never been out of the rolls / no contact marks or counting machine
damage - I went to the local coin /precious metals dealer , and he was unaware of any
rarity or enhanced value , please help me out here ! Argentium.
 
Upvote 0
The US Mint arbitrarily cut the production off of '09 dimes and nickels by mid year. Consequently, their totals are only a fraction of what had typically been minted in the years leading up to '09.

Thus, they are scarce and being sold for a premium; especially in unopened rolls.

Check (fe)ebay and you'll see what I'm talking about.

There are many of us collectors on here, myself included, who have yet to find either an '09 dime or an '09 nickel; from either mint......and we are almost halfway through '10.

Kudos on your find, they are worth a good premium and good luck.
 
If the coin dealer doesn't know anything about them, he isn't very good at his job.
 
PM sent. Plesae check it. :-)
 
Argentiem,
I'd be interested in purchasing a roll of the 2009-D dimes if
you wish to sell me one. Have no idea what you want for it.
send me a PM.
rileyboy
 
Last fall I did a tour of the Denver mint, got to go on the floor, that was nice, But they mentioned that they only ran the machines for Nickles and dimes in 09 for 1 week for each.
They were busy pumping out quarters and those horrible $1 coins and pennies,
I got to see a lot of our tax money wasted too, an entire wall, 80 Monster BAGS the ones that go on a fork lift, were going to be remelted because someone screwed up on them.
I asked them about the NFIC halves, they said the whole run for a year, about 2 million, gets done in about 2 and a half days.
So mintage for the dimes and nickels for a circulating coin will probably be less than 10 mil for the nickles and dimes, but who knows for sure yet. NOT COMMON thats for sure.
 
jewelerdave said:
Last fall I did a tour of the Denver mint, got to go on the floor, that was nice, But they mentioned that they only ran the machines for Nickles and dimes in 09 for 1 week for each.
They were busy pumping out quarters and those horrible $1 coins and pennies,
I got to see a lot of our tax money wasted too, an entire wall, 80 Monster BAGS the ones that go on a fork lift, were going to be remelted because someone screwed up on them.
I asked them about the NFIC halves, they said the whole run for a year, about 2 million, gets done in about 2 and a half days.
So mintage for the dimes and nickels for a circulating coin will probably be less than 10 mil for the nickles and dimes, but who knows for sure yet. NOT COMMON thats for sure.

Nice recount.'Were you able to snag bags of halves there?
 
Argentium said:
As some of you may re-call , I've recently switched to dime boxes , from halves - I keep
seeing posts on this site referring to the relative scarcity of 2009 dimes /rolls/boxes . I
have gotten two full boxes of these in the last week or so - the one I got yesterday is
2009 -D - they have never been out of the rolls / no contact marks or counting machine
damage - I went to the local coin /precious metals dealer , and he was unaware of any
rarity or enhanced value , please help me out here ! Argentium.

If that dealer told you that he didn't know anything about the coins, then don't ever deal with that dealer again.

You just got a very cheap confirmation that the dealer is probably dishonest.

While some dealers don't sell very many of these coins, they know that they are not cheap in the dealer networks.
 
Re: the 2009 mintage numbers :-)

jewelerdave said:
Last fall I did a tour of the Denver mint, got to go on the floor, that was nice, But they mentioned that they only ran the machines for Nickles and dimes in 09 for 1 week for each.
They were busy pumping out quarters and those horrible $1 coins and pennies,
I got to see a lot of our tax money wasted too, an entire wall, 80 Monster BAGS the ones that go on a fork lift, were going to be remelted because someone screwed up on them.
I asked them about the NFIC halves, they said the whole run for a year, about 2 million, gets done in about 2 and a half days.
So mintage for the dimes and nickels for a circulating coin will probably be less than 10 mil for the nickles and dimes, but who knows for sure yet. NOT COMMON thats for sure.

Hey dave, long time no see posts. :-)

I have final numbers for nickels and dimes for 2009. :-) More than you think, but here they are. :-)

2009 NIckels:

2009P - 39,840,000
2009D - 39,360,000

Total 79,200,000. That's the lowest since 1953 had 79,089,500 minted. :-)

2009 Dimes:

2009P - 96,500,000
2009D - 49,500,000

total 146,000,000. Lowest since 1955 had 26,409,181 (REAL low!) and 1950 had 117,373,000.

No matter how you cut it, that is LOW. As a matter of fact, it might be better to compare to recent years. NIckels 2005 = 1,741,200,000. 2006 = 1,502,400,000 2007 = 1,197,840,000
2008 = 625,440,000 (And people were shocked it was below 1 Billion!) 2009 79,200,000!!!!! Less than 100 million, or about 8% of that billion people were shocked that 2008 was below!


Dimes 2005 = 2,835,500,000 2006 = 2,828,000,000 2007 = 2,089,500,000
2008 = 1,015,500,000 2009 = 146,000,000!! About 14% of what 2008 was, and about 5% of what 2006 was! LOW compared to others.

I shall be culling 2009 nickels and dimes from circulation much like I cull wheaties now. I'll do it forever. they SHALL be worth something in the future, even if not a tremendous amount. Keep all 2009 nickels and dimes that you get. It's that simple. Or, if anyone finds them and doesn't want them, PM me and I'll buy them from you at a small premium and help by paying for the postage. :-)

John
 
I personaly don't think they be worth alot down the road even if it's low mintage you have to take into account alot of people hoarded them off ebay and very few got circulated. So now you have 90 percent of 2009 dimes and nickels in AU or better grade or BU grade and very little left with G to VF grade. This senerio in the long run will not help out these coins being worth alot my guess .50 cents to 2.00 in value per coin.
 
I think the answer you were looking for is this. If your the first and only guy selling them on eBay you can make a lot of money but as time goes by and the volume of posts for them increase the price will go down.

Supply and demand.

So your 2009D's had you found them a year ago would have made you a tidy profit. And they still might command a premium. You should check out listings on eBay to know for sure. Look at completed listings.

One other thing that no one has mentioned is that there is a belief that the first coins off the block will have better strikes. Seems to make sense to me.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom