Attachments

• 020613l.JPG
    020613l.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 020613m.JPG
    020613m.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 104
General Rule of Thumb (Felipe V vintage--Mexico):
If the diameter is 28mm= 2 reales; if 34mm= 4 reales; and if 40mm= 8 reales.
Don.....
(Referring to the coin on the right.)

Last edited:
A WAG for the coin on the left is a Mexican 1/2 R if it weighs between 1.6 and 1.7 grams; or a 1R if it weighs between 3.4 and 3.5 grams.
Felipe V--1717.

Thanks a lot for replying Mackaydon. However, based on the curvature around the perimeter of the coin the radius is much larger than a 1/2 reale. I laid the coin on a piece of paper and traced around the edge, then kept moving it along so I could outline the entire circumference and approximate what the whole coin would have looked like. When I did that it appears the full sized coin would have been about 33 mm (see pic below), which matches up nicely with a 4 reale as you mentioned above. Does that make any sense? I don't have any scales to weigh the piece to get further confirmation.

cob4a.JPG

Bill,
I considered the possibility that the coin you refer to immediately above IS the entire coin. Said differently, the curvature of the coin may have been created by 'snipping'-- post production-and assumed the edge was not reeded. I looked at the reverse ('cross') image and attempted to picture the coin as a piece of eight (or another denomination) but when I drew a similar outline, too much of the planchet would have been void of any design IMO.
Don.....

A WAG for the coin on the left is a Mexican 1/2 R if it weighs between 1.6 and 1.7 grams; or a 1R if it weighs between 3.4 and 3.5 grams.
Felipe V--1717.

Don is correct. It is a Mexico City 1/2 R minted during the reign of Philip V (1st period). The full cross wouldn't be evident on clipped larger denomination. And the ghost-like remnants of the monogram is indicative of the 1/2 R. Monograms were only used on 1/2 R denominations. Larger denominations would have the shield/cross.

Don is correct. It is a Mexico City 1/2 R minted during the reign of Philip V (1st period). The full cross wouldn't be evident on clipped larger denomination. And the ghost-like remnants of the monogram is indicative of the 1/2 R. Monograms were only used on 1/2 R denominations. Larger denominations would have the shield/cross.

Thanks for the confirmation. Even though I've dug a number of cobs I always seem to have difficulty ID'ing them since pieces to the puzzle always seem to be missing. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back