What's new

Need help! Do I have worked pieces?

TheTh3rd

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2014
Messages
349
Reaction score
137
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to get better and looking past the "rocks"... Do I have anything? The ones in my hand are in the left column of the last 2 pics.
image.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webp
 
Upvote 0
What I see from your photo they look natural, but under a exam in the hand they may say something else.
 
What I see from your photo they look natural, but under a exam in the hand they may say something else.

How would I go about said exam?
 
The only piece I see that may be worked is the second from the right in the pieces in your hand pictures. And even that is a big stretch.
 
They look real similar to some of the stuff I find here in my creek. I usually keep them to search on later on. Sometimes I find out they are flakes and sometimes just pretty stones. The thing about them is they look so much like an artifact and then I pick them up and get so disappointed because they aren't what I thought they were. Hang on to them though, just in case.
 
I see nothing that I would say is an artifact.
 
Can someone post a photo showing a series of flake removal on the edge of a stone to give the OP and idea on what to look for. I would but I can hardly turn this computer on let alone post a photo!!!

It may be a good learning experience for several readers.
 
Tools 001.webpTools 004.webp Maybe these chipped tools will help you. The best thing I can tell you is to watch someone flintknapp or go on youtube and watch a viedo and pay close attention to flake scars. There are all types of flaking, but once you notice what was made by man, then you will see the differences of natural flaking from rolling down a hill or in a water way. The very best thing you can do is spend $30 on a knapping kit and try your hand at knapping. It will give you a better understanding of how these items where made and it will train your eyes to spot flake pattern s while hunting artifacts. Good Luck:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom