Need help identifying daughters first arrowhead.

Lutrell

Greenie
Jan 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 733
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need help identifying daughter's first arrowhead.

Depending on your area it looks like a Meadow Wood Arrowhead........IT could be a Dalton Breckinridge though..... not sure of material. So I cannot pin point your location and type it..... What state was this found??...................GTP

OP
OP
L

Lutrell

Greenie
Jan 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Get-the-point said:
Depending on your area it looks like a Meadow Wood Arrowhead........IT could be a Dalton Breckinridge though..... not sure of material. So I cannot pin point your location and type it..... What state was this found??...................GTP
Thank you! I'll check both of those out. I'm in west Tennessee.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.

hello Lutreil!! and Daughter!! welcome to Tnet and the AIA forum from Tmodel!! on eastern highland rim of Tennessee. no matter what they call it Daughter!! you have found a mighty fine projectile point for your first find. with it made out of 2 different materials i would loved to have been the one to find it to go in the frame with my avatar. Terry

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011

OUTSTANDING find young lady. As I tell my wife, "good eye". I would sure like to find the source spot for that rock.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

Lutrell - A great many flint artifacts don't fit into a recognized type. I am with GTP that you have an Archaic point, probably middle Archaic or earlier meaning I'd guess it's 5-7,000 years old. It's almost certainly a knife blade and not a spearpoint. It is without question not an arrowhead. It is nicely beveled (the resharpening) and has a cool band across the middle. Every single person on this board would be proud to have found that point. For it to be your daughters first find is really cool. The banner is reserved for 'significant finds' but for my money, having your daughter find a good archaic beveled beats them all.

Good luck and keep looking, where there's one there's more (seriously, there are more, keep looking).

Thanks for sharing,
Joe

OP
OP
L

Lutrell

Greenie
Jan 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Jon Stewart said:
OUTSTANDING find young lady. As I tell my wife, "good eye". I would sure like to find the source spot for that rock.
Thank you! That's a good thought about finding the source. I'll show it to some of the locals and see what they think.
tmodel said:
hello Lutreil!! and Daughter!! welcome to Tnet and the AIA forum from Tmodel!! on eastern highland rim of Tennessee. no matter what they call it Daughter!! you have found a mighty fine projectile point for your first find. with it made out of 2 different materials i would loved to have been the one to find it to go in the frame with my avatar. Terry
Thank you, that's a good idea. I think I'll use for my avatar, she'd love that.

Twitch said:
Lutrell - A great many flint artifacts don't fit into a recognized type. I am with GTP that you have an Archaic point, probably middle Archaic or earlier meaning I'd guess it's 5-7,000 years old. It's almost certainly a knife blade and not a spearpoint. It is without question not an arrowhead. It is nicely beveled (the resharpening) and has a cool band across the middle. Every single person on this board would be proud to have found that point. For it to be your daughters first find is really cool. The banner is reserved for 'significant finds' but for my money, having your daughter find a good archaic beveled beats them all.

Good luck and keep looking, where there's one there's more (seriously, there are more, keep looking).

Thanks for sharing,
Joe
I really appreciate your help! I look forward to getting home and letting her read your response and the others as well. We will be walking the creeks this weekend in search of number 2.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your daughter"s point looks like a large "besant" point. But the edge above the notch looks like it been reworked? old digger.

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The slight notching looks like a meadowood, great find, beautiful material!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread