What's new

✅ SOLVED Need help identifying item. Appears to be lead and copper

WVExplorer

Full Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2014
Messages
186
Reaction score
401
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garret Carrot, Recently retired Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to figure out what it is. I thought it was a type of syringe but can’t find one like it. The top appears to be copper and threads down into the tube. The tube appears to be lead oxidized white/gray.

The site goes back to at least 1840s. Active farm up until 1950-60s. Now my families farm.

C73AB70E-ABE5-4170-8EFA-9DA8B6BCAC1B.webp

EEAA66F6-31CF-4A01-B3E3-DECF5586BD48.webp

0DF7BE02-B3BE-4070-A1C3-D0CC3DCC453A.webp
 
Small turnbuckle body that some one put a wingnut in.
 
Upvote 0
I wonder if it might be zinc instead of lead and part of an old wet cell battery?
 
Upvote 0
Could be zinc. I just assumed lead due to the weight and the oxidizing. But it’s not smooth like old lead. Good suggestion.

The thumb screw idea by owl creek appears to be what’s on top. I think I’ve seen pictures where people use to make these out of mason jars. Like you said Charlie, Could be an old wet cell battery, even homemade.
 
Upvote 0
Good going !
That's an amazing ID, Charlie and DC.
A little extra corrosion where the insulator used to be.
It checks out very accurately:

Battery 3.webp

Battery Laclede.webp
 
Upvote 0
Awesome identification guys. Appreciate the pictures.
 
Upvote 0
I guess these were common in the late 1800s. Wow. Didn’t think this would be that old. Appreciate the help.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom