Need help identifying Medal ?

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello T Net, Its been a long time since I have posted anything. I still detect my colonial sites every Sunday here in Pa. pulling a large array of large coppers and Relics.
I need help with ID-ing this Medal..... I was Detecting a forgotten homesite about a half mile from a 1780`s fort. I looked and typed just about everything I could think of and could not find this bugger anywhere. It read in the low 80`s ( VDI ) for you Whites guys, kind of like a draped bust copper would read. Thanks, Paco ( Sorry for The sideways pic )

Attachments

• IMG_3685.JPG
    IMG_3685.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Upvote 4
That's a cool find Paco (welcome back !) Is there nothing on the other side of any help in ID'ing it ?

Not real sure. If it is large it may be some sort ceremonial gorget for maybe a fraternal or veterans organization. If it is small, it may have been a fancy decanter patriotic badge. Maybe something to promote Union during the Civil War. I have seen decanter brass badges that say whiskey, scotch, etc go back 200 years or so. Sorry if this is no help but interesting find.

Hey Argentium, Nothing on the back side. looks as if there is a circle from the molding process......

First thought runs to GAR encampment badge...however with the lack of anything IDing it as GAR on the front and nothing on the back, makes me wonder because regardless of the state, GAR definitely would not miss an opportunity to put GAR on a badge like this.

Paco where was this found? (state should be enough)

Hi Danimal03, the size is 1.5'' x 1.5''.... it`s either brass or copper. Without scratching it I don`t know....

Hbeaton, it was found in Northumberland County Penn.

Hey hbeaton, I looked up some GAR Badges and this appears to be very close to what I may have. But still was not able to find an exact match..... I will keep looking.. Thanks

Sure thing. I think another area of searching might be for state related public safety events (annual firemen or police fair) around the same time period. Another is state specific delegate badges for campaign years.

hbeaton, Thanks again.... I will research your other ideas as well..... That's a lot more suggestions that I could come up with.

Based on the small size my guesstimate is a patriotic decanter badge. Maybe a local politician put these on his decanters. The fat shield reminds me of an 1860s style. My guess is it is a patriotic 'Union' decanter badge. Maybe for some type of event. Nice find regardless.

Hello T Net, Its been a long time since I have posted anything. I still detect my colonial sites every Sunday here in Pa. pulling a large array of large coppers and Relics.
I need help with ID-ing this Medal..... I was Detecting a forgotten homesite about a half mile from a 1780`s fort. I looked and typed just about everything I could think of and could not find this bugger anywhere. It read in the low 80`s ( VDI ) for you Whites guys, kind of like a draped bust copper would read. Thanks, Paco ( Sorry for The sideways pic )

I flipped it for you. Dying to know what this turns out to be.

attachment.jpg

Thankyou Beez0404 for the Flip. Was not sure how to do it.....

Hey, Paco, it is great to see you at the Colonial hunt still. Killer relic! I hope someone can ID it. I am hunting by myself now and doing decently. I love your new avatar. Where did you find that stock buckle? Man! Miss the old days!

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back