Need help identifying this rock

XAnIdiotOnlineX

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I was out with my daughter the other day and I found these rocks.

I was walking up a really wet and muddy bank when I saw loads of these little black rocks stuck in the mud. I took one home, washed it off and I've spent the best part of 4 hours trying to find out what it is. So now I'm hoping you all can have some input.

Its black, rough, shimmers in the light and it has something stuck to it which looks like dry mud (but its not) tried washing it off but its not budging so figured it must be part of the rock.

100_0785.JPG 100_0788.JPG 100_0791.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

XAnIdiotOnlineX

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one got any ideas? I've posted on 4 different forums and no one has replied :(

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, I've had ti limit my time at the library.. So Im just getting here or I would have answered sooner.. As for the sample.. I feel it could one of many things.. According to your images, it could be Aventurine, but then again.. it could be emerald in a host stone (balck areas) or even tourmaline..

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of the experts may still be out of town. what state were they found? pretty vauge for me to give an educated guess. can it be scratched with a knife? all these are clues. welcome and happy new year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

XAnIdiotOnlineX

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of the experts may still be out of town. what state were they found? pretty vauge for me to give an educated guess. can it be scratched with a knife? all these are clues. welcome and happy new year.

They were found in the UK. In a place called Washington (not be confused with the American state). I've just tried scratching it with a knife and it did scratch a little.

First of all, I've had ti limit my time at the library.. So Im just getting here or I would have answered sooner.. As for the sample.. I feel it could one of many things.. According to your images, it could be Aventurine, but then again.. it could be emerald in a host stone (balck areas) or even tourmaline..

I've had someone on another forum suggesting it was a few other things, none of those though. I don't know a thing about rocks and I'm confused lol.

I tried burning the edge of it and the whole rock got really hot and alot of black smoke came off it.

100_0810 - Copy.JPG

A couple of other pictures I took today.

100_0810.JPG 100_0811.JPG

Thanks for replying!!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not much of any hints to work of, so I guess that's the reason for few replies. :)

My first thought is some kind of feldspar.
Maybe anorthosite? Just wild speculation from my side.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

XAnIdiotOnlineX

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been speaking to an expert on rocks, he has seen the pictures but is still baffled as to what it is.

He's told me to send a piece of it to him and he will analise it so i'll let you all know what he says :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha, well I do think you made a good choice to ask someone whom knows his stuff. I had no clue myself. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread