What's new

Need Help IDing Button

BigD451

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 6, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found out on a farm field of Eastern Long Island NY, Looks to be an eagle facing right on the front (that's all I can identify), the back has the word (I think) STAND and the letters CO, that's all I can identify. It's about the same size as a penny, maybe a little smaller. Closest thing I found on the internet was a Diplomat button or an Excelsior Eagle button, but can't find an exact match. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Button1.webp
    Button1.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 829
  • Button2.webp
    Button2.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 881
The back probably says "STANDARD COLOR". Is it an eagle on an anchor? Clean it up a bit more. I'm sure there is more detail under the dirt.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
The style of the eagle makes me think early militia. There may be a regimental number below the eagle.
 
Upvote 0
It could be one of these? Nice find.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0975.webp
    IMG_0975.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,578
  • IMG_0976.webp
    IMG_0976.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,611
Upvote 0
Brian C. said:
It could be one of these? Nice find.

Wow that's the closest match I've seen, thanks!
I cleaned it the best that I can, it's not dirt, it's corrosion. Any ideas on how to make it more eligible without destroying it?


Update: I tried searching on the internet for "Infantry Regiment Buttons" and "Confederate officer button", I still can't find an exact match. None of the buttons have the lines on the front with the words on the back. Closest one I found was an Confederate officer button, it had the lines on the front but no words on the back. I'm lost lol
 
Upvote 0
As long as the button isn't pewter try thowing it in a rock tumbler with some aquarium gravel, water and soap. Check it often (every 30 minutes or less) and the corrosion should come off or at least make the button easier to read. I know cleaning artifacts is a tricky process and some frown against it. I have done it with many of my mid 1800's buttons and they have cleaned up nicely but you must use caution. Good luck!
 
Upvote 0
Before you clean it you might want to check out the Cleaning and Preservation section on these forums. You don't want to do anything to damage or take away from the buttons patina.
 
Upvote 0
Slow Down!

1. Before you clean an already decent button any further, make sure you get a solid ID to know what you've got.

2. Read my button cleaning post in the preservation section.


Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
OK I found your button. What you have is an Ordinance Corps button, 1812-1821.

It is ORD103As in the Tice book.
 
Upvote 0
Good ID BB. Tice refers to Alberts OC2 but Alberts 1A looks more like it. Here is a scan from Albert's book.
 

Attachments

  • OC 1A.webp
    OC 1A.webp
    110.4 KB · Views: 984
  • OC 1A crop.webp
    OC 1A crop.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 871
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
Good ID BB. Tice refers to Alberts OC2 but Alberts 1A looks more like it. Here is a scan from Albert's book.

Yes! you guys are great! That is definitely it, I'm so happy that you guys figured that out, I'm new to this and I wasn't sure where to look. Thank god for the internet and this forum.
Thanks again, I can rest now. lol
 
Upvote 0
metaldetector101 said:
Seems to me like a postwar of 1812 button

Yep just as Buckleboy stated above :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom