What's new

Need help in central Illinois

newhunter

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tracker4
I was recently introduced to the hobby of metal detecting. I bought a tracker 4, and am ready to go. However, other than my back yard (which has turned up nothing so far) I don't know where to go in central IL. Can anyone help?
 
I too am in central Illinois. I just purchased my first metal detector about an hour ago. I can't wait to get started. It should be here in a few days. I am in Douglas county, how about you?
 
It can be incredibly frustrating just starting out. As a beginning you need to learn the capabilities of your new machine. Try to figure out the max depth it gets and then limit your hunting to areas that will give you the best chances for target recovery. Public areas such as schools and parks are probably best to learn on as even though they get hit continually they get restocked on a regular basis. You usually don't need permission and it gives you a chance to work on your recovery technique without the worry of killing someones lawn. The learning curve is very steep and many beginners give up before they learn what their machine is telling them. You will get skunked more than you realize but its part of the process. Hang in there!
 
There's an army of detectorists nearby you guys. Check on the club forum and in the Illinois forum for more localized help.

And there's still great hunting down that way.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom