Need help! King George III object?

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Folks,

Found this over the weekend at a spot that has produced many colonial period items, buttons, coins, tool pieces etc. Rang up (12-17 on the Etrac) and was figuring some sort of foil target but was surprised by this.

Has the crown with crossed sabres on one side and on the other is GR a bust and the roman numeral III. I can only presume the GR is for Georgius Rex and the III is for King George III. Not sure what this is. It appears to have been part of a larger part. Any ideas? Utensil?, military badge/ pin? Something awesome?! Penny was for size. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4533.JPGIMG_4534.JPG

HH!

-Hunter

Interesting. I found something similar at a 1700's home site. It reminded me of a valve on a Absinthe alcohol dispenser. It looks like a valve. Does it turn, mine still does. valve.jpg

Upvote 0
That's Great! Thank you! It's had me stumped for over a year now. Yours is in nice shape.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the help here. Knowing now what to search for, have found many other examples of Georgian period watch winders. Website watchwinders had a ton of winders and a couple with GR III on them like mine. Too bad its not all there but good to know I can always go back and search again.

Best of luck out there!

-Hunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back