Ball field George II copper? (ID help please)and gold ring, scout camp Tiger slide and clad

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a a set of ball fields I have detected before. They are usually good for some clad and occasional jewelry. They also were the site of an 8 room log home built in the 1790s and that burned down in the early 1930s. I have found artifacts that are from the early 1800s and civil war items as well. Up until today the earliest coin was an 1804 half penny.

I started swingin the CZ21 at the tot lot adjacent to a field and moved on toward the ball field working my way around the edges where the spectators bring their chairs and watch the games. The quarters were plentiful and in 5 hours I managed to find 133 coins with a face value of $14.11, a toy car, a ring, a copper coin, a messed up hat pin, tabs and can slaw.

CC7AA0FE-192B-4878-94D0-8CCE0CCCC5B2.jpeg

While I was detecting a guy was mowing the grass. When he got over near me he shut down the mower and came over. I thought here we go, heā€™s going to tell me I canā€™t detect on the field or ask me to leave. Well when he got to me he asked how I was doing and asked what I had found. I told him I was just finding coins and he said I wouldnā€™t find anything old here. I told him about the history and things I had found in this set of fields over the years and he was surprised. He also said to go onto the field, I wouldnā€™t be hurting anything and wished me good luck. 10 minutes later I found the copper. When he got back around I showed him the coin and he wished me luck again and said I hope you find gold. About 15 minutes later the gold ring showed up. What I thought was going to be a problem turned out to be my lucky charm for the day. It weird how things work out sometimes.

The ring is the first gold I have found at these field and is a nice little 10k. When I dug it I thought it was a cheapie and didnā€™t take a picture in the ground. After I got it out of the hole and had a good look I knew it was gold.

B65873B3-E56E-49D2-8CC5-E4D148755FF8.jpeg

The copper coin was a shock and a nice surprise. It has been a while since I found an old copper. They are not very common around here. It is well worn on the front and the reverse is smooth except for a spot where it has been scraped, possibly by earthmoving equipment building the field in the 1980s. At the proper angle you can see the outline of a left facing bust. Above the bust on the right you can see the Roman numeral 2 indicating George II. In trying to identify the coin I noticed that the British half pennies all have shoulders on the bust, but the Hibernia half pennies do not. They end at the neck. I believe mine is a Hibernia which was minted between 1736 and 1760. Iā€™m no coin expert so any input on this coin would be welcome.

385CD3C4-AB51-429E-935B-B41A1ABEE311.jpeg

51842012-7068-4631-8D99-E05EDA69C6E1.jpeg

1A36E93C-8FA3-4AF5-9078-C5855C151083.jpeg

I had another day at the scout camp with 6 hours of swingin. The results were 94 coins with a face value of $6.66, 61 camp tent pegs, a stainless fork, a tie clip, the end of a small flashlight, sinkers, 2 cheap carabiners, 2 rope tensioners, an older Tiger Cub neckerchief slide, a kidā€™s special police badge, along with tabs, foil and melted aluminum from the fire pits.

60439686-6651-405A-B83F-63EDDFA8845A.jpeg

72EA61CE-6AA7-496D-B681-21B42AE95590.jpeg

F4690482-B6CE-4D72-818F-CF164BB2CC93.jpeg

Not my best day at the scout camp, but a real good one on the ball field. As always lots of fun and exercise in the great outdoors, with gas money and interesting things to improve the experience. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 22

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all the great recoveries! May you run in to the lawnmower man again:angel5:.
You are a prolific digger, it's amazing how many holes you must dig for all the loot and other stuff.
You win the award for staminašŸŽ When my wife sees your posts she starts breathing heavy.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a a set of ball fields I have detected before. They are usually good for some clad and occasional jewelry. They also were the site of an 8 room log home built in the 1790s and that burned down in the early 1930s. I have found artifacts that are from the early 1800s and civil war items as well. Up until today the earliest coin was an 1804 half penny.

I started swingin the CZ21 at the tot lot adjacent to a field and moved on toward the ball field working my way around the edges where the spectators bring their chairs and watch the games. The quarters were plentiful and in 5 hours I managed to find 133 coins with a face value of $14.11, a toy car, a ring, a copper coin, a messed up hat pin, tabs and can slaw.

View attachment 1986675

While I was detecting a guy was mowing the grass. When he got over near me he shut down the mower and came over. I thought here we go, heā€™s going to tell me I canā€™t detect on the field or ask me to leave. Well when he got to me he asked how I was doing and asked what I had found. I told him I was just finding coins and he said I wouldnā€™t find anything old here. I told him about the history and things I had found in this set of fields over the years and he was surprised. He also said to go onto the field, I wouldnā€™t be hurting anything and wished me good luck. 10 minutes later I found the copper. When he got back around I showed him the coin and he wished me luck again and said I hope you find gold. About 15 minutes later the gold ring showed up. What I thought was going to be a problem turned out to be my lucky charm for the day. It weird how things work out sometimes.

The ring is the first gold I have found at these field and is a nice little 10k. When I dug it I thought it was a cheapie and didnā€™t take a picture in the ground. After I got it out of the hole and had a good look I knew it was gold.

View attachment 1986676

The copper coin was a shock and a nice surprise. It has been a while since I found an old copper. They are not very common around here. It is well worn on the front and the reverse is smooth except for a spot where it has been scraped, possibly by earthmoving equipment building the field in the 1980s. At the proper angle you can see the outline of a left facing bust. Above the bust on the right you can see the Roman numeral 2 indicating George II. In trying to identify the coin I noticed that the British half pennies all have shoulders on the bust, but the Hibernia half pennies do not. They end at the neck. I believe mine is a Hibernia which was minted between 1736 and 1760. Iā€™m no coin expert so any input on this coin would be welcome.

View attachment 1986678
View attachment 1986674

View attachment 1986677

I had another day at the scout camp with 6 hours of swingin. The results were 94 coins with a face value of $6.66, 61 camp tent pegs, a stainless fork, a tie clip, the end of a small flashlight, sinkers, 2 cheap carabiners, 2 rope tensioners, an older Tiger Cub neckerchief slide, a kidā€™s special police badge, along with tabs, foil and melted aluminum from the fire pits.

View attachment 1986679

View attachment 1986680

View attachment 1986681

Not my best day at the scout camp, but a real good one on the ball field. As always lots of fun and exercise in the great outdoors, with gas money and interesting things to improve the experience. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1986675

View attachment 1986676

View attachment 1986678
View attachment 1986674

View attachment 1986677

View attachment 1986679

View attachment 1986680

View attachment 1986681

Supper copper and gold ring! Congratulations on a great hunt!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

View attachment 1986675

View attachment 1986676

View attachment 1986678
View attachment 1986674

View attachment 1986677

View attachment 1986679

View attachment 1986680

View attachment 1986681

This is a George ll half penny, l found today .
667EB31A-2EFF-4423-ADFE-E7A5D408C4E5.jpeg

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1986675

View attachment 1986676

View attachment 1986678
View attachment 1986674

View attachment 1986677

View attachment 1986679

View attachment 1986680

View attachment 1986681

awesome hunts and really cool finds, gratz on the gold

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1986675

View attachment 1986676

View attachment 1986678
View attachment 1986674

View attachment 1986677

View attachment 1986679

View attachment 1986680

View attachment 1986681

Sweet Gold and love the old copper!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread