What's new

Need help right now please!!

olekyground

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
1,565
Reaction score
429
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey friends. So I got permission to hit s old building built in 1840. It is a Masonic lodge now but was once a church and a school. So I k ow there's a bunch of goodies in there. However all I can find is siding!! Is there anyway to get around this? I have a have agarret at gold detector.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    739.9 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 6
Yeah I hate siding, but on a property with that history, to me it would be worth digging it all up to get it out of the way, who knows what that siding is masking.
 
I'd just work a small section at a time and just clean out the siding and keep an ear open to deeper signals.
 
Keep trying im sure theirs more then just siding if you feel good about the area then just dig the junk, and get it out of the way...
 
I agree with everyone else! Clean out all of the siding and other trash, then the goodies should start showing up. I also agree to work small sections at a time by gridding the area. It may take some time but will likely be worth the trouble. Besides, the siding is aluminum is likely recyclable along with a lot of the other trash you find. Pack it all up, take it home and accumulate all the recyclable trash until you have a lot to cash in and just dispose of the non-recyclable trash. Once the lot is free of trash of all kinds, you will be able to detect there without the blocking/interference from the trash items and with right conditions, the good target signals will likely reveal themselves. In other words, once the trash is gone and if you are metal detecting when the ground is dry and not having much luck, just go back a day or two after a good soaking rain and conditions will likely be better to excellent and you will likely hit on many signals that weren't heard when it was dry.

Good luck!


Frank
 
Last edited:
Yup, just like the others said, work it in small areas and get all the aluminum out end eventually the good stuff will come out. I have a similar situation when hunting my brother's place. Old 1-room school house from the mid 1800's. Pieces of siding and window wrapping are everywhere (prob sided sometime in the 80's) It will take time and I'm still pulling stuff outta his yard but have also found several wheat pennies, Indian head pennies, buffalo nickles and my best is an 1891 seated liberty dime in great shape. It will pay off, just gonna take some time!
 
Yep, agreed, just have to clean out the trash before you can dig the deeper goodies.
 
I didn't read all the other responses in entirety, but besides doing the work to clean out the trash (which is a good idea) you might also think about using/borrowing the super-sniper coil. I have one for my ATP, and I think it should work on the AT Gold. The coils field is very narrow, almost like going over the ground with a pencil eraser. Just a thought.
 
Oh boy! That siding scrap rings up like something great at first don't it?
Pulling it out allows checking what may be under it and being masked though.
While annoying, it means the site has not been thoroughly searched yet.
 
This is true. Thanks for all the comments
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom