Need help setting my XLT for lead

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
Own a new White's XLT and am disappointed with it response to lead. Took it out to an old fort site where I had found dozens of mini balls with a Garrett I'd owned before. Didn't find a one. Came home and tried the detector over a one ounze piece of lead and got a very weak response even in the non-discrimating mode, and no signal raising the hoop just four inches. Is there anything I can reset to help this problem? Would appreciate any suggestions.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done a straight air test ie not having the lead in or on the ground.
In Relic I am getting 10.5 inches in all metal, 12.0 inches in discrimination and I'm a little worried that my coil is going off tune.
Don't forget new does not mean the machine is working right. First thing I would do would be to try a coil swap.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost forgot. You are sweeping fast I hope. Its four filter so though there's nothing wrong with the low bit of the oft quoted advise 'Sweep low and slow' slow is just what you don't want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread