Need Help to determine if this is what I think it is...

chuckfinley

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
USA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a friend of mine found this and he's not good with computers so Im posting this for him.
Im not going to say what we think it is right away. I want to hear what you guys have to say..
In my opinion i think this find is big.. really big.. cause I have only ever seen one of them found before.
but maybe you think otherwise..
BTW Im new here so hi to all and thanks for your help here in advance...

DSC04445.jpg

Also the links are solid Gold and they are joined by silver...
It weighs 1.15 oz
and I cant tell you were it was found.

DSC04447.jpg

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
My guess is it is a chainmail bracelet. I use to make chainmail and friends of mine would make bracelets and necklaces using the same basic techniques out of copper and it looked very similar.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a friend of mine found this and he's not good with computers so Im posting this for him.
Im not going to say what we think it is right away. I want to hear what you guys have to say..
In my opinion i think this find is big.. really big.. cause I have only ever seen one of them found before.
but maybe you think otherwise..
BTW Im new here so hi to all and thanks for your help here in advance...

DSC04445.jpg

Also the links are solid Gold and they are joined by silver...
It weighs 1.15 oz
and I cant tell you were it was found.

DSC04447.jpg

Welcome to the forum.Not sure what your going to call it but I know what I'll call it.:laughing7: And that because I've found them before.:tongue3: It's off a 19th century snaffle bit.And I would doubt that it is gold at all.All the ones I've found are copper/alloy.
Take Care
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 180-0-0-0[1].jpg
    180-0-0-0[1].jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 164
  • fixed_cheek_weymouth_bit_bi_large[1].jpg
    fixed_cheek_weymouth_bit_bi_large[1].jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 050[1].jpg
    050[1].jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chuckfinley

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
USA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its been tested and its gold.. but thank you for your input...

Upvote 0

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold? that looks exactly like an old ornamental chain from a womans handbag, purse, or anything along that line.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chuckfinley

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
USA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look its not a game I just want to know what others think and if maybe someone found something like it before. I personally think its a money chain. Like the one found in Florida. The ones the Spanish used to avoid paying taxes when they returned to the motherland. They melted their Spanish coins and had them made into links and then when they bought something they would just cut a link off to pay for something. Again its gold. its been in the ground for God knows how long. I just want to hear what everyone else has to say so I can go through everything that others might be with absolute certainty. No game here

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
chuckfinley said:
look its not a game I just want to know what others think and if maybe someone found something like it before. I personally think its a money chain. Like the one found in Florida. The ones the Spanish used to avoid paying taxes when they returned to the motherland. They melted their Spanish coins and had them made into links and then when they bought something they would just cut a link off to pay for something. Again its gold. its been in the ground for God knows how long. I just want to hear what everyone else has to say so I can go through everything that others might be with absolute certainty. No game here

LMAO. Man this is just to funny.

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say it again,the ones I've found were just like yours soldered links,The links get larger diameter from outside to the middle,they both the ones I found same overall length.
So seems how you won't give us nothing to go on I will.
1-I'd bet the site you found them would date somewhere around 1820-1840 (would like to see your other finds with it if any)
2-I'd bet the lenght of it is around 8-9 inches
3-I'd like for you to say what karat it tested at? And maybe how you did?
4-I hope this don't turn into a viking find again.:laughing7:
5-I don't come on here just to try & steer you wrong it's because I have a good idea.Being found in context.

Antique Heavy BRONZE or COPPER HORSE BIT Nice Curb Chain with Hook Make Offer | eBay

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJE4E88eURyqvBPWSlCr3bQ~~60_12[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJE4E88eURyqvBPWSlCr3bQ~~60_12[1].jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chuckfinley

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
USA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know I will have to ask the owner of it. Again I m posting this for a friend who wants to know what others think about it. when I know more I will post more.. if you think it belongs to a horse bridle then thats fine.
Im not saying your right or wrong. But I am stating what little i know about the item. If nobody else wants to comment then, thats fine. And as far as the atocha chain goes. They all dont have to look like Mel Fishers..

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know I will have to ask the owner of it. Again I m posting this for a friend who wants to know what others think about it. when I know more I will post more.. if you think it belongs to a horse bridle then thats fine.
Im not saying your right or wrong. But I am stating what little i know about the item. If nobody else wants to comment then, thats fine. And as far as the atocha chain goes. They all dont have to look like Mel Fishers..
I can see it being tough when you have to post something for someone else.Not mad with ya just wanted you to have a open mind about it.And I welcome anyone with a better idea as long as it's not far fetched.
Take Care,
again welcome to the forum,

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Whatever it is, the links are extremely small and relatively light.
At 1.15 oz in total, with about 15-17 links--each link weighs less than 1/10th of an oz; more like .07 of an oz.
Did you mention the length of the chain?
Don.....

Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
goldchain.jpg its from a swag light!The money chain is the thick gold chains the spanish stole from the indians-it had nothing to do with a tax.The indians would break off links & trade for goods when needed!if you look hard you can see the indians.jpg money chains!lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM7y6BP8)JGdNtQ~~60_12[1].jpg
    $T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM7y6BP8)JGdNtQ~~60_12[1].jpg
    18 KB · Views: 113
  • $T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySfi-BQErrtU4bQ~~60_12[1].jpg
    $T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySfi-BQErrtU4bQ~~60_12[1].jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my guess swag light double loop chain.. View attachment 664376
Wouldn't go with the site mine was found unless they had lights back in the early to mid 1800's.Also I've got all kinds of old lighting with the brass chains none are that short & none have soldered links.Also the light chains are heavy links his piece is only weighing 1.15 oz with I think I counted 18 links.So thats somewhere around 1.7-1.8 grams a link.Also if you look his link diameter go from small outside link to large middle.
Take Care,

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another thing you may be missing his links have a twist.That is there for it to lay flat against the horse/mule's chin.The links you posted are just circle links.If he played with his a little they would fall in place & lay flat guaranteed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread